New Install can't get past the SQL test (1 Viewer)

stevengood

Portal Member
April 23, 2011
West Henrietta, NY
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, I have used MedialPortal before and this is actually a new install because I had problems with my Tuner cards and The TV Server would not see my tuners anymore so I figured uninstall all, then do a fresh install.

I have been trying different things as suggested in other forum post but still can't get the past the SQL connection test for the TV Server.

1) I have uninstalled Media Portal and deleted any filed directories and app data
2) I have uninstalled MySQL and also removed any directories
3) I have re-booted the system after the uninstalls
4) I did a fresh install of MySQL the latest version (that did not help so I also installed MS SQL Express 2012) that also did not help
5) With both the SQL servers installed, I did the fresh install of Medial Portal 1.2.3 and every time I do this, I get to the screen that tests the SQL connection and can't get past the test.

This is on a Windows 7 system fully patched.

When is says "root" username, do I actually need to create a "root" user account? If so I have not done this, as I did not need it when running medial portal before.

The Windows Firewall is set up to allow both the MySQL and MS SQL Express servers.

I have tried both the 1 click install (but even though I have MySQL installed, the one click wants to install MySQL but the older version).

I just tried again with the 1 click install, and got the pop-up message

"MySQL - set password error: 1"
after clicking OK on that pop-up this one comes up.
"Failed to install application [MySQL 5.1]"

Options given for the SQL part are:
Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 is disabled (duh, I have 2012 installed, 2005 is no longer available)
MySQL 5 (well last one click install was not able to install this so why try again)
SQL sever is already present and will be used for TV server (this is what I checked since I do have MySQL 2012) installed

Now when I do the advanced install (Fresh) this happens.

OK this is what happens - it says you have successfully completed the installation

So now I go and use the TV Server Configuration
Get the Setup database connection pop-up
My SQL 5 is checked by default so I click test
and oh my god I get "Please specify a valid hostanem of IP address for the server" localhost was the default
I change the hostname to "PVR-PC" the name of my PC and click test and get

Connection failed!
Access denied for user 'root'@'PVR-PC' (using password: YES)

I really love or should I say loved Medial Portal but the SQL part of the install is driving me crazy.

Please please please (did I say please) what am I doing wrong.

Seriously this SQL issue is about to drive me to drinking or pulling out my hair

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    First you should decide if you want to stick with MySQL or MS SQL.

If you installed MySQL yourself (it sounds like you did so) you should create a user with "root" as username and "MediaPortal" as password.

The default username (or User ID) for MS SQL is "sa" and the password is "MediaPortal".

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

uninstalling and reinstalling a MySQL Server can be very hard because there are some problems that can occur.
    The "root" user is the default user of the MySQL and will be created automatically at the installation from the MySQL Server Installer.

I think that your problem occurs because of the default password MP uses for this "root" user. MP normally uses "MediaPortal" as password for the root.
    If you uninstall MySQL this password/security settings will not be deleted and if you try to reinstall an MySQL Server you need to type in the password for the root user from the old/removed installation AND the password you want to use for the new installation. To avoid this problem you need to delete every possible folder from MySQL. It seems that you have forgotten a folder. Check if all MySQL Folders has been deleted.
    • C:\ProgramFiles\MySQL
    • C:\ProgrammData\MySQL\
    • C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MySQL
    I hope i didnt forget a folder but i think this should be all of them. if you still got this Problems just write a message.

stevengood

Portal Member
    April 23, 2011
    West Henrietta, NY
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thank you very much.

I did not need to create the "root" user (was not needed)

But one directory I missed deleted the C:\ProgamData]MySQL]

After deleting that, everything worked after re-installing.

Thanks again for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom