New Install - MP gets stuck @ directx or loading tv server (1 Viewer)

Srakha

February 27, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am having an issue getting a new install of mediaportal to load. This is my first time installing MP, so maybe I am overlooking something obvious. I have used windows update to get all the updated drivers for windows and directx, and I have downloaded the newest drivers for my tv cards and my video card. At the moment, I use remote desktop to log onto the PC via wireless modem/router to configure it. I have the windows background set to a blank color. I've run the configuration exe and got it to find channels on one of the tuners (I only have one hooked up to cable atm), and haven't really messed with anything else there, didn't install any new plugins, whatever came with it is what is installed.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help you can give me :)

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: windows xp pro sp3
CPU Type: p4 2.80 ghz
HDD: western digital sata ~2 TB
Memory: 2gb ddr2
Motherboard: gigabyte
Video Card: nvidia geforce 7600gs
Video Card Driver: 6.14.12.6658
Sound Card: onboard via
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: hauppauge pvr500 dual
1. TV Card Type: analog
1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.48.25037
2. TV Card: hauppauge pvr500 dual
2. TV Card Type: analog
2. TV Card Driver: 2.0.48.25037
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling: 3 fans (2 case one cpu)
Power Supply: thermaltake 430 W
Remote: none yet
TV: not hooked up yet
TV - HTPC Connection:

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You can't actually run MediaPortal from Remote Desktop on Windows XP. Is this what you are trying?

Srakha

February 27, 2011
    Home Country
    :oops:

Yeah.. I didn't know that it wouldn't run with remote desktop. does this apply to any remote software? I also can use LogMeIn..

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    :oops:

Yeah.. I didn't know that it wouldn't run with remote desktop. does this apply to any remote software? I also can use LogMeIn..

I doubt that any Remote Connection software will run a DirectX application on Windows XP, but you can actually do it on Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    But expect framerates ~ 2 frames per second...

Srakha

February 27, 2011
    Home Country
    ah ok. I was only using it to get it configured.. I guess I'll need to use a keyboard and mouse the rest of the way. thanks, I'll see how that goes.

I tried earlier today with LogMeIn, and it got a little further in the startup, but got stuck again loading plugins.

mihooper

August 21, 2011
    Could I get a clarification on this issue?

I am trying to do my first install of MP on a headless server in my equipment closet via remote desktop (no easy access to HTPC). However, after downloading DirectX and beginning the initial start-up of MP, I get the same problem Srakha (ie PC hangs at "Initializing DirectX..."). I am not trying to run a video or any media. I am simply trying to start the MP server.

Can I not run MP as a server-only application and control it remotely via remote desktop?

Sorry, but I am a newby at MP.

Thx,

MikeH

Sorry guys. Rookie error. I was attempting to run MP, not MP TV server via RDP which caused the glitch. It appears that as MP client is starting a warning window opens beneath it (saying something about display resolution and such). However, the window needs to be clicked to move on. Since MP started in full screen, I never saw the window.

I have now (correctly) downloaded and am installing TV Server.

FYI, my initial confusion was the question asked by the install screen "Do you want to run TV from MP?". I said "no" thinking the question had something to do with the graphics card on the server. Little did I know that it would not download TV server if I answered NO. Perhaps a more explanatory phrasing of this question may prevent future rookies from making the same mistake.....:)

Off and running!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome MikeH :)

Can I not run MP as a server-only application and control it remotely via remote desktop?
    You can run the TV Server as a server-only application - this is known as a multi-seat installation. See the diagram -->here<--.

I am trying to do my first install of MP on a headless server in my equipment closet via remote desktop (no easy access to HTPC). However, after downloading DirectX and beginning the initial start-up of MP, I get the same problem Srakha (ie PC hangs at "Initializing DirectX..."). I am not trying to run a video or any media. I am simply trying to start the MP server.
    It doesn't sound like you're trying to start MP Server. Rather, it sounds like you're trying to start MP client. The TV Server is a Windows service that runs in the background. Both the client and server have their own dedicated configuration applications. TV Server will start automatically on computer startup (you can manage it like any other Windows service - right click on My Computer, Manage, services etc.). To start it after installation, just fire up TV Server configuration. You'll be prompted to configure the database connection first. Once you have that sorted, TV Server will start (in the background) and you can begin configuration.

mm

mihooper

August 21, 2011
    mm,

Ooops! Rookie mistake. You are correct. I was trying to start MP client, not MP server.

FYI, when the initialization screen appears frozen, it is actually a warning window beneath the MP window that is waiting to be clicked "OK". However the PC appears to be locked. This should be moot since this should never happen (unless you are a rookie:))

The real cause for the confusion was that I did not have MP server installed on my HTPC. The reason it was not installed was that when I was asked "Will you run TV from this PC?" during installation, I said "no" thinking the question had something to do with my graphics card. Since I was not going to use the HTPC to display video, I answered "no" which told the installer not to download MP server. Perhaps you could add some verbiage in the installer to clarify this question (for rookies).

I now have MP server up and running!! First impressions are very favorable! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the help.

MikeH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom