New MB and CPU ++ (1 Viewer)

corvy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Rykkinn, Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hello, I am upgrading my HTPC server to a new mobo, cpu and GPU card. I want it to perform well so I can use it as a TV-server + client as-well as serving as a tvserver for a client in the living room. This is the way I use it today but the Core2 CPU and ATI HD 2600 is not coping with the load after all the HD content streaming ;)

I use Windows 7 and TVserver/MP version 1.2.0 alpha currently.

How does this work? Would I prefer CPU speed or multiple cores? From task manager it looks like the TVserver service spins up about 40 threads so it indicates that a multicore system should work?

I am currently looking at some upgrade bundles on Intel Core i5 760 vs AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T. There is no big price difference, but the AMD is a lot cooler I must say. My requirement could maybe be fulfilled with an i3, but I really do not want to come into a performance problem again!

On the GPU side I am not sure, but I am looking for a silent ATI or Nvidia card, GT 240 or HD 5750 or thereabouts. Spending around 100-200$ on the GPU should be sufficient I belive.

Any thoughts around these questions? I know they are a bit hazy but some pointers are appreciated. :)

CrashUK

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2008
    I just got to point before you go buying new mb + cpu that you dont need to.. The ati 2600 hd is a very slow card and that what slowing down mediaportal and you hd stuff.. I had a ati 2400hd and it did not do hd that well and mediaportal gui was slow..

I got a ati 4350 and speeded up mediaportal gui and HD 1080p/720p works very well on this card no skiping at all.

If you get a ati 4350 with out the fan..

Also I have a mediacenter headwired to the wireless router I find this helps a bit with speed on the network..

corvy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Rykkinn, Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks ;) I already did the upgrade, old MB and Memory to be my new NAS / server machine. Not a waste in any case. More or less things work good now, I can watch HD on the server/tv combo while using clients at the same time. Now I have capacity to spare in the system :) Kinda costly TV solution, but much more fun than a black box I must say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom