New Music Engine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    I'm happy to announce that the new audio engine which uses the BASS audio library is (finally!!) finished and has been committed to SVN. Here are a few of the feature highlights:

Player Features:

• Quick start up (under 2 seconds typically) -- no more waiting for the external player to launch before music playback begins

• Supports the following file types out of the box (no codec installation required):
      ape, flac, mp3, ogg, wv, wma, mp4, m4a, m4p, and mpc

• Cross-fading -- configurable from 0 - 16 seconds (default: 4 seconds)

• Gapless playback (default: disabled)

• Buffering -- configurable from 1 to 8 seconds (default: 5 seconds)

• Soft-start / soft-stop -- fades volume in or out when a track is manually started or stopped (default: enabled)

• Seek forward and seek back -- uses MP's configured seek steps; 15sec-->30sec-->1minute etc (Default: no configuration required)

Native Visualization Support:

• MP no longer relies on WMP for visualization display

• Supports the following visualization plugins:

SoundStream -- G-Force and WhiteCap v5.0 and higher (currently in beta). Visit SoundSpectrum and check out thier excellent visualizations!

Sonique -- The XMPlay site has a great assortment of Sonique visualization plugins

WMP -- not all visualizations supported. I'll be working on this furthur in coming weeks

• New music overlay cover art fade-in/out alpha-blending over visualization animation

• Visualization on Now playing screen (default: enabled)

• Fullscreen visualization status display (default: disabled) shows a track info overlay image when a track changes and displays playstate images such as play, pause, ff, etc (note that this requires a fairly fast cpu so you'll want to leave this disabled on systems slower than P4 2.66GHz) When enabled, the track info overlay pops up on each track change. Pressing <F3> to shows or dismisses the track info overlay.

• Rendering is done on a seperate thread so visualizations in fullscreen mode no longer freezes the rest of MP and MP no longer blocks while the visualization is initializing

Note that these features ONLY work if you have selected "Internal Music Player" on the Music-->Player Settings page in Configuration.exe.

Known Issues: "Now playing" visualization breaks on first track change. This issue was discovered after comitting the changes to SVN and it's too late to fix tonight :)wtf: bed time!). I will address this issue ASAP.

There's bound to be a couple of bugs :p so please report any problems here and remember to post your logs to pastebin.

[EDIT]
    If you're using Sonique visualizations you'll need to save them to the \MusicPlayer\plugins\visualizations folder in your MediaPortal folder. For all other visualization types (SoundSpectrum, WMP) you don't need to do anything as MP will find them automatically
    [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
    Just realized that I never mentioned that we're using the EXCELLENT BASS audio library :oops:
    [/EDIT2]

Enjoy!

Steve

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Gapless playback (default: disabled)

Now I can finally rip and play all these Grand Mix CD's I have from Ben Liebrand.

Thanks mate, greatly appriciated.:D

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can't tell, the bot doesn't spit them out at the moment, hard to say when High, the master of the bots, will wake up. It's sunday, 08:55 AM here now. Could take a bit, but not too long. ;)
    Must be pretty urgent, according to your question... :D

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Can't tell, the bot doesn't spit them out at the moment, hard to say when High, the master of the bots, will wake up. It's sunday, 08:55 AM here now. Could take a bit, but not too long. ;)
    Must be pretty urgent, according to your question... :D

hehe, well, its 3am here and I was just curious if there would be a build before I went to bed. There's always tommorow though.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country

• Gapless playback (default: disabled)

• Soft-start / soft-stop -- fades volume in or out when a track is manually started or stopped (default: enabled)

STEVE!!!! You're an absolute legend!! :D:D
    keep up the awesome work - i can't wait to checkout these changes

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom