New nVidia 6150-based motherboards - good for MP? (1 Viewer)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Slightly off the subject but any of u guys know if a custom res can be set with these nforce boards eg 1360X768?

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I also had issues with my P1-AH1 and the nvidia drivers and I think going back to 81.95 was the best option for me - have sold that pc.

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    NO, 6150 is not good for HTPC....at least m2npv-vm is terrible choppy for sport....for usual video it is sufficient

I don't agree, the ASUS M2NPV-VM works just fine as a HTPC motherboard and to watch sports.
    If using internal graphics (as I do), don't forget to adjust graphic memory, its 32MB as default (that will make video stutter!).
    I'm using it with Nvidia Pure Video Decoder.
    /tompa

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This is an old thread, but ppl who are considering building a HTPC w/integrated gfx on mobo should check out ATi/AMDs 690G series w/X1250 GFX (X700).

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Have already tested the abit 190hd fatality bearing the 1250 chipset, far too power hungry for a htPC and still doesnt do the necess 1360x768 that the bulk of people will require to match panel res.
    Not a good board imho
    even tried it with the omega drivers but no luck, think the main prob is the sharing of the ROM space between system and vbios wont allow for any frills

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, this is not a 690G-board (these are AM2 only), and one of the things that are great about the 690G is (from what I have read - which is alot/to much:D ) that the power usage is very low.

Roundup by AnandTech:
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2942

.... and from HotHardware

Running at full load, the MSI K9AGM2 consumed 10 less watts compared to the nForce 430/6150 series board and 2 watts below the 430/6100. When running idle, the 690G weighed in 6 watts less than the 430/6150 and 8 watts less than the 430/6100. This variance may seem small to some, but the best way to look at this is in percentages. When running idle, the 690G consumed close to 8% less power than the 430/6150 and 11% less than the 430/6100 based board. At full load the power consumption difference is closer to 7% less than that of the nForce 430/6150 based board, where the reduction was closer to 1.5% compared to the 430/6100. These aren't exactly make or break differentials obviously but notable none-the-less.
    Source: http://www.hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=935

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    abit 190hd

Lol not sure what the difference between the 2 other than the socket and really trust me if u had experience with this board i had, i dont think you'd be willing to read the whole damm articles either
    The board requires a psu with dual 12v rails (and wont post wo) yet this wasnt mentioned in any previous sales literature etc, not many micro atx cases with that in and only a couple on the market so not a system for budget users at all
    Board has specific memory spec laid down and is v fussy there so one to watch
    Board was major unstable after installing sb600 driver under windows xp
    bord refused to start with 2 sticks corsair value dual channel
    maybe this was down to use of non listed memory though was better with 1 stck of same mem, just would'nt dual channel and also suffered occasional lockups after cold start
    , pity though cos when running, fast little board , but really only one for hardcore system/builders tinkerer's and not cheap either
    maybe if someone offered me a 690 for free id try it but wouldnt pay a penny after these experiences

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I believe the numerous reviews of 690g-based cards speaks for it self, when it comes to energy efficiency. Read many of these, and none said anything about the need for a dual-12V, but I'm not saying that it is not the case.

It's a "known fact" that VIA makes "poor" (OK - not the right word) mobos for Intel based systems, but they are decent enough for AMD-based systems. Also: AMD has the memory-controller integrated on CPU, whilst Intel rely on a motherboard based controller; not saying that this is the issue either, just pointing out that there are more than "socket type" that separates the above mentioned mobos.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    "known fact"???, i have just moved from a via 880 based board on an intel lga 775, one of the most stable boards i have ever had only reason i changed it was to get cross fire.
    not only stable it achieved 300fps in cod2 using a mere nvidia 6600gt (yes it was dx7) but having spent up to 15 hrs a day on that board for the last year i can say there was nothing "poor about it"
    perhaps this thread should concentrate on peoples personal experience of boards rather than reviews which can be googled up at any time
    ps the review u linked to did not rate the board that highly, in the summary it said it was only just spanking the nvidia almost 18mths after and still couldn't game v well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom