New Opportunities for MP! (1 Viewer)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've been using Beyond TV for a couple years now, however I'm not completely happy with it.

I ran MP for awhile however I found it unstable and finally got frustrated with it, nevermind the fact that there was no client/server architecture.

Seeing as the new TV Engine is coming out, that will satisfy one of my needs, and hopefully stability will come in time as well.

The point of my post is that SnapStream (developer of BTV) has plans to create an add-on DVD burner (burn MPEG recordings to DVD) for their latest Beta of BTV. The kicker here is that they plan on charging for this add-on which I don't personally agree with.

Here's an opportunity for MP to take the lead and ensure the features that other people want to charge for, are included! (Nevermind the fact that MP is already free)

I refuse to give Snapstream anymore of my money (I've already bought Beyond Media, Beyond TV 3.5 and 4.x, Three copies of Beyond TV Link, and Two Firefly remotes). Gotta love the way Snapstream treats their customers.

bootrix

August 25, 2006
I've been using Beyond TV for a couple years now, however I'm not completely happy with it.

I ran MP for awhile however I found it unstable and finally got frustrated with it, nevermind the fact that there was no client/server architecture.

Seeing as the new TV Engine is coming out, that will satisfy one of my needs, and hopefully stability will come in time as well.

The point of my post is that SnapStream (developer of BTV) has plans to create an add-on DVD burner (burn MPEG recordings to DVD) for their latest Beta of BTV. The kicker here is that they plan on charging for this add-on which I don't personally agree with.

Here's an opportunity for MP to take the lead and ensure the features that other people want to charge for, are included! (Nevermind the fact that MP is already free)

I refuse to give Snapstream anymore of my money (I've already bought Beyond Media, Beyond TV 3.5 and 4.x, Three copies of Beyond TV Link, and Two Firefly remotes). Gotta love the way Snapstream treats their customers.

Is this a joke of some kind? I could see the term of "Opportunistic" being used, but it would be directed to someone besides MP of course. Hasn't the writing been on the wall for a VERY long time for you BTV users? I have an email from the "so called" developer of BTV dating back almost 2 years where he promises "soon" that BTV and Beyond Media would be integrated into one package. You know what has happened there, NOTHING! I told them I wouldn't lay down the green ones til they were integrated, and boy did I win one there...I just had a strange feeling it wasn't happening anytime soon. I bet on a different color (RED) and haven't looked back since!

Now just because you bet on black, and wasted your green, your really stretching it quite far with thinking MP would think they need to have a DVD burning module just to appease a few people that should of never bought into the Snapstream segmented way of doing business in the first place. MP is way ahead of them already, look at the userbase, BTV couldn't hold a match to what MP has done, so I don't think the folks here think they need to do anything to get where they already are. I am not speaking for MP at all, this is simply my oppinion, that's it. I mean, let's get real for a sec here, do you think MP will lose any sleep if they get say....150 defectors of BTV that download MP (for FREE I add!) and realize it doesn't have a DVD burning app? To be honest, I don't know if a DVD module exists or not, as it has never been an issue for me to get my movies onto either CD/DVD. Do you realize how easy it is to burn movies on to a DVD in the first place? Those that pay for a DVD burning module in BTV, well let's just say they DESERVE BTV. Bottom line is if you want to use MP, then great! Download a FREE copy and enjoy, and while your at it, show your appreciatory by compiling your own DVD whatever app and sharing it with the other BTV defectors! They will love you for it. Sage has a DVD burning module that is free, maybe that would work for you, who knows.

Regards ;)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Umm, the above comment aside, the ability to just set up a playlist of recorded shows and have them burnt to DVD would be really good. No rush, though, I know DVD burning is difficult to get right.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
Is this a joke of some kind? I could see the term of "Opportunistic" being used, but it would be directed to someone besides MP of course. Hasn't the writing been on the wall for a VERY long time for you BTV users? I have an email from the "so called" developer of BTV dating back almost 2 years where he promises "soon" that BTV and Beyond Media would be integrated into one package. You know what has happened there, NOTHING! I told them I wouldn't lay down the green ones til they were integrated, and boy did I win one there...I just had a strange feeling it wasn't happening anytime soon. I bet on a different color (RED) and haven't looked back since!

Now just because you bet on black, and wasted your green, your really stretching it quite far with thinking MP would think they need to have a DVD burning module just to appease a few people that should of never bought into the Snapstream segmented way of doing business in the first place. MP is way ahead of them already, look at the userbase, BTV couldn't hold a match to what MP has done, so I don't think the folks here think they need to do anything to get where they already are. I am not speaking for MP at all, this is simply my oppinion, that's it. I mean, let's get real for a sec here, do you think MP will lose any sleep if they get say....150 defectors of BTV that download MP (for FREE I add!) and realize it doesn't have a DVD burning app? To be honest, I don't know if a DVD module exists or not, as it has never been an issue for me to get my movies onto either CD/DVD. Do you realize how easy it is to burn movies on to a DVD in the first place? Those that pay for a DVD burning module in BTV, well let's just say they DESERVE BTV. Bottom line is if you want to use MP, then great! Download a FREE copy and enjoy, and while your at it, show your appreciatory by compiling your own DVD whatever app and sharing it with the other BTV defectors! They will love you for it. Sage has a DVD burning module that is free, maybe that would work for you, who knows.

Regards ;)

Since you obviously COMPLETELY missed the point, I'll make it simple for you.

The average Joe consumer wants something that works out of the box and will probably pay to have all the additional little features to make their life easier (which is fine). They won't want to go through all the steps necessary to burn a DVD themselves.

More demanding users will come to expect things like DVD burning to be included,
not be an add-on which requires an additional purchase. Either that, or they'll resort to doing it themselves (which I've been doing).

The "New Opportunity" for MP (especially once the new TV engine is going) is to step into the spotlight and shine, even more so than it already does. It's a chance to gain a larger userbase and potentially bring future developers on-board. There's a lot of people who are watching the progress of MP to see where it goes. Once the features that people are looking are implemented, they'll switch.

If the new TV engine works as good as it sounds, I'll be dropping BTV like a hot potato because I've grown very frustrated with the company and their tactics.

Until now (in my opinion) the TV module of MP can't come close to the functionality of BTV. It's not even a contest. I will give MP the advantage in the Front End department however as Beyond Media is a very sad piece of work in it's present state.

Long story short, I was giving MP a compliment. Unfortunately some people seem to have taken it the wrong way.

bootrix

August 25, 2006

There is no "Opportunity" there for MP to "shine", they already do, and don't need your "so called" opportunistic ways to make it so. If you want the plugin so bad, BUILD IT YOURSELF, if not, then go BUY it from BTV people. Just because you can't put your movies to divx and to DVD in 2 easy steps, that's no ones fault but your own. The only people that would need such a plugin are the newbs, and they will be the ones to BUY anything related...period! nuff said

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
There is no "Opportunity" there for MP to "shine", they already do, and don't need your "so called" opportunistic ways to make it so. If you want the plugin so bad, BUILD IT YOURSELF, if not, then go BUY it from BTV people. Just because you can't put your movies to divx and to DVD in 2 easy steps, that's no ones fault but your own. The only people that would need such a plugin are the newbs, and they will be the ones to BUY anything related...period! nuff said

Wow....you must live in a miserable little world to be this bitter. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom