new plugin for changing channels (DirecTV w/serial port) (1 Viewer)

ruister

Portal Member
January 4, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

After fighting with IR Blasters I built a cable from Radio Shack parts ($8.00) and now thanks to your hard work channel changing with DirecTV is seamless.

Thanks!!
-Rui

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    ruister,

Glad to hear it! Serial channel changing is pretty much flawless.

What parts did you have to get and what type of DirecTV receiver do you have? It's nice to know these things for others that begin using MediaPortal.

Also, which plugin ended up working for you? The DirecTVTune.dll or the other "two part" one?

Thanks!

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    Thanks again diehard!

Just out of curiousity, roughly how long does it take for you all to change channels? I have about a 2.5 second delay which is perfectly fine and easy to get used to. I'm just wondering if that's the norm and if it changes from plugin to plugin?

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Thanks again diehard!

Just out of curiousity, roughly how long does it take for you all to change channels? I have about a 2.5 second delay which is perfectly fine and easy to get used to. I'm just wondering if that's the norm and if it changes from plugin to plugin?

This is normal. We discussed this a bit in posts 68 and 69 and this still has not changed for me. It's just the way it is :)

TiVo did change my channels quicker but it's something i've gotten used to now with MediaPortal and this plugin.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    You may already know this, but you can change the zap delay in setup.exe. This may not help as much with STB channel changing, but at least with direct cable input you can reduce the delay to a pretty insignificant amount of time.

ruister

Portal Member
    January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi,

To connect my DirecTV receiver (Hughes GAEB0) to MP I used a 9 pin serial connector from radio shack connected to a 6 ft telephone handset line (small 4 conductor modular connector). Once I installed the DirecTV Tune plugin it worked like a charm!

Now the question is: Can I set the zap to respond to an enter key rather than time?

Thanks,
    -Rui

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    diehard2. Thanks again for another plugin for this. One question, though. When I check the "Hide OSD" box in the plugin setup and click OK, it doesn't stay checked. When I go back into the setup it is no longer checked nor is the OSD hidden when changing a channel. Is this something I'm doing wrong?

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Hi,

The plugin is kludged together from someone else's plugin. I didn't really add anything in the config and don't have any plans to since it works well for me. Not sure about the OSD problem, I only send it a particular command. If that doesn't work, there really isn't any troubleshooting available for it. The source is included in one of my downloads posted here, so feel free to make changes if you program. Good luck.

~Steve

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    diehard2,

The source code I supplied you did not include the actual changes that opusnut had made in order for it to fully work with my box. I have contacted him in order to get the changed source code. Once I get it, would you mind recompiling it with the update source code (or teaching me how? ;) )

The issue I have is that my channels do not change correctly after channel 255 and opusnut had fixed this for me back in September.

Thanks!

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Forgot to update this thread...

Micheloe in IRC assisted me in fixing this plugin myself! He was very patient in assisting me. MANY thanks!

This version I am posting works with my HTL-HD receiver. I'm running the latest SVN release with the 0.2.2.0 stable build installed.

spachti, I hope this helps! You'll need to configure it in the plugins section. Select the RCA (New) setting and click OK. Works flawless for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom