[New Plugin] MP-My Collection (1 Viewer)

jmhecker

Portal Member
January 8, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
:D
It is looking really good. I am sure you realize that you are fulfilling a great need.

Thank you :D

I had actually thought of this a long while back, but never put any thought what-so-ever towards it, because I hadn't done any programming in ages, and at that point in time, I didnt feel like re-learning anything. But, when I decided to try something, MadMagpie brought this one to my attention, and I couldn't help but decide to do it. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that has a bunch of media that currently has no feasible way to import them into MediaPortal.

On a side note (which I briefly touched upon earlier), I have decided that in one of the subsequent releases after 1.0B (1.0A being the unreleased Alpha version), that I am going to include a way to manually edit the database. Probably via an excel spreadsheet import. I will have documentation as to how the excel spreadsheet would need to be formatted, and what the data types for each field should be. This would allow for the possibility of quicker database creation (depending on the amount of items). I would also like to implement a directory scanner for inputting files...it would ask you for a directory, and then it would go through the entire directory structure and create the database for you based on what is in the directories. IE:

Code:
Audio Books
     Fiction
     Non-Fiction
Family Videos
     Kids
          Billy
          Julie
.....etc
When looking in each of those directories, it would search for file types (.avi, .mpeg, .jpg, .tif, etc), and try to find a corresponding .txt file for each item, and if it is an audio or video file, it would also look for a .jpeg that matches the same name to use as the thumbnail. If said files do not exist (thumbnail or txt file), it would ask you for that info. Once it has the info, it would create the entry in the DB for you...the folder path would be the category paths. It would also (depending on your option settings), create the .jpeg and the .txt files for you, so that they are there in case there is a need to rebuild the database (upgrade, fresh install, etc).

jmhecker

Portal Member
January 8, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just an update...I am running into major road-blocks when trying to work with MediaPortal and working with the controls in skin...if anyone knows how to set the 'image' to be used on a picturebox, please let me know. I have tried using .SetFileName as well as .ImagePath, and neither seem to do the trick. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what MP uses for playback of audio files? I would assume the BassAudioEngine class, but want to be sure before I start digging around in completely the wrong area.

jimwin

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
England England
This is a brilliant idea. Do you intend to add a resume point for media, the same as my videos, TV Series etc? That would be really useful for audiobooks, so you can start from where you left off. This is the biggest thing that stops me from using My Music, as it doesn't allow it.

llambion

Portal Pro
January 20, 2009
Oviedo
Home Country
Spain Spain
This a great idea for a plugin. I have a video camera and when I recorded some event photos and videos mixed. A 10 for this plugin. I'm already impatient to try it. :D
:D

Tripledrop

Portal Member
June 1, 2009
Looks great!! Just what I need... I currently have separate sections in the newest movingpictures for stand-up comedy and music concerts, but that's not ideal. I also need something for recorded sporting events, so this seems perfect!!

Please release ASAP!! :)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    The categories themselves would not be able to have their own entries in the "Home Screen". As far as I know, MP only allows for one entry on the main screen per plugin.
    If it is true may be you can add option to change plugin name in home screen and allow multiple installation of your plugin to have different databases for categories?
    Thanks!

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great idea for a plugin. I have numerous holiday videos that I want to include in MediaPortal - The best way to view them is via location submenus (i.e, Miami, etc) each containing the various videos from that place., from what I can see, this plugin allows that.
    I have spent the last 4 days! trying to author Bluray or AVCHD with submenus (using x264, megui bluray profiles). What a nightmare. DVDArchitect just wont read them.
    And of course, if you do successfully make a Bluray, then how do you play it in mediaportal? Powerdvd seems the only way, but it only opens on screen:1 (my mediaportal runs on screen:2). Even then, you have to switch discs, etc.
    SO then it occurred to me, why use the oldschool method (discs). Why not just use files like everything else in Mediaportal, and this plugin will allow that to be done.
    Good work!

Cheers,
    Divxmaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom