[Pending] new recordingoption to record only new episodes - even if you delete old shows (1 Viewer)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

here is again a new recordingoption made by me ;-) Please consider it as beta but it works here for a few weeks now.

I call it: Only new episodes (mp internal codename: EveryTimeOnEveryChannelOnlyNewerEpisodesSchedules).

How does it work?
    - it stores the season and episodenumber from EPG in the recording database
    - then it selects only shows which are newer than the one stored in the EPG
    - after recording it stores the new values in the schedules db
    - if you have not already season and episodedata it just selects all shows (if the data is then later added f.e. by my episodescanner) it will get them and store them after the 1st recording in the db
    - if the code finds the same episode and season broadcasted into the db the first broadcasted show wins (even if they are shown at the same time and date)

What do i need to use it?
    - you need an EPG which provides season and episodenumbers or you have to use my episodescanner to add them (see my footer)
    - you need to modify the DB yourself - mysql sql code is attached

Why do we need this?
    If you're recording for example a season Fringe. Then often other channels are showing old seasons or if Fringe ends you have to delete your schedule to not record old ones. But now you've to remind yourself to add it again when a new season is broadcasted. With my new option you record for example season 2 episode 1-14 then season 2 and episode 14 gets stored as the last values to the db. The TvServer will then only search for Season 2 episode 15 or season 3 episode X on ALL channels. So even if the new season is broadcasted onto another channel you won't miss it.

Still not clear?
    Here is an example:
    - you select to record "Law and Order Special Victims Unit" and select "Only new episodes" as the recording option

Selected show:
    Law and Order Special Victims Unit at 13 of June 20:15 Season 2 Episode 3
    It will then record every show which is season 2 episode 3 or greater (season 3 episode 1 or season 2 episode 5). It will then store for example season 3 episode 1. And will then only record shows newer than season 3 episode 1 and so on.

Why are there no binaries?
    It changes a lot of parts on MP and TV Server side. Too many binaries needed.

Have fun!

Stefan

Attachments

• _onlynewerepisodes.patch
      37.8 KB
    • mysql_onlynewepisodes.txt
      92 bytes
    Last edited by a moderator:

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: new recordingoption to record only new episodes - even if you delete old shows

Does nobody record series today? Everybody downloading? Crazy ;-(

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I like the idea but it still does not address the issues totally (but is better). What about maintaining this list? I could record the whole of series 1 then delete it only to find that actually I did want to record it but no way to do this. And you have also modelled this by just storing the last series. What if I have series 2 on DVD and have recorded Series 3 but then want to record Series 1 ?

Also what about series you have have as DVDs? eg what I would like to do is to tell MP that I have the whole of The Big Bang Theory series 1 on DVD so don't record it but record new episodes that I don't have on DVD.

Perhaps a plugin could be used to fill in some of these gaps? or a new screen within the TV plugin?

Lots of random thoughts and no answers ....

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: new recordingoption to record only new episodes - even if you delete old shows

jameson_uk
    great ideas - but that is out of my control / knowledge. You then need a lot of new screens so select seasons and so on. My idea was to make it simple. If you record Season 3 and then want to record Season 1. Just delete the old recording and select Season 1 Episode 1 to record ;-)

Nil Einne

Portal Member
    April 23, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks looks like it would be good for some! Sadly still has some shortcomings for me since I can't rely on the episode data. It's not usually published here and one of the key shows I need it for is a local soap opera with limited thetvdb info [it's there but isn't kept up to date with new episodes and no I'm not going to be the one to do it ;-) ]

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Just noticed this and it sounds good.

I do think the user would need a way of seeing and managing what's in the database as per Jamesons comments as it could get very frustrating.

How about having an option to just record everything with the same season number? Should then act like Skys series link feature and don't bother with using the DB.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

No and i don't think it will make it into MP 1.3 - as i've not the time to make everybody happy ;-) and it seems nobody else seems to have the time to polish it with an extra interface.

madas

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Hello all,

Would it not be possible just to utilize the "First Aired" info from the EPG and look for when the First Aired = today? or is this First Aired data non-standard?

From an example Description

"Shipping Wars: The transporters must move a 22-foot steel horse and a giant prop for ''Little Shop of Horrors.'' (First Aired: 1/10/2012) (HDTV)"

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you think of the case that you last recorded S1-E3 and then you would like to get the next one, but another channel airs S2-E5. Your pattern would then write down S2-E5 and only look for episodes newer then that one. So all episodes inbetween s1E3 and S2E5 will not be recorded although you would want them.
    Am I right or is there something I didn't think of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom