New Skin - what do you want? (1 Viewer)

TVKiwi

Portal Member
May 27, 2005
I am experimenting with several ideas for a new skin, but I thought I would seek some opinions from the community as to what they might like to see in a new skin. I am looking for suggestions on everything from themes / colors through to layout of the screens.

As an example I am in the middle of designing a screen which is both high in WAF and also usable on a small touch screen. This means that many of the screens have been simplified and buttons either hidden (not used) or enlarged and repositioned.

I would also like some feedback on what people like / dislike about the current skin selection so as I can get a feel for what could be done to improve the overall experience.

In the unlikely event that no one has an opinion / request / fettish I will simply wing it based on my own preferences.

This will be my first skin on any software but I fancy myself as a photoshopper and am up for a challenge so feel free to add input to this post.

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Something that takes advantage of widescreen would be good (I am testing MCE-widescreen at the moment)

Main issues I have with the skins is customising the layout of widgets. eg, turning off menu items I don't want or use, flexible TVGuide layout that prevents repeating of channels if you have < 8.

The colours / schemes of existing ones are fine for me (and for WAF).

Have fun!

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I would like a feature like harleys "simplified home screen", just for the whole skin.

It fould be great if there were two versions. One where nothing is complicated. and one where all features are implemented. This could be added as a "advanced/basic" button on the bottom or top of the skin.

wierdnatox

Portal Member
    January 8, 2005
    I like the simplicity of mce, but would prefer it in black or maybe red, but my biggest gripe with it is that it's not very readable on a 720/576 widescreen TV. I think the fonts need to be bigger (feel free to tell me I can change this already) . My wife's comments have always been that she prefers the TV guide and OSD on Sky, so maybe that's what skin designers are up against.

Whatever you do I'd be interested to see it anyway. MP needs more skins IMO. :)

E

Energy Blue

MCE

I use and love the MCE skin.
    Put it is very simple, i would like one that looks alot like it.
    Cos I love the Windows Media Centre theme.

Thanks and good luck what ever you do!

TVKiwi

Portal Member
    May 27, 2005
    I cant imagine that an MCE clone would be too hard, especially for a first crack.

I have started work on the initial icon sets which will provide shortcuts to the main feautures of MP - TV, Music, Video etc. These will be present on all screens to allow one touch navigation (possibly on top bar menu) - much like Harleys basic home page. I have also pretty much completed the backgrounds too.

What I intend to do is to provide a number of icon sets and backgrounds that can be pasted into the skin file directory so people can mix and match colours, styles so they get what they like.

I just have to find some way of uploading some screen shots to show progress and get some feedback.

Also - I have been working on a Star Wars theme which although not for everyone is a bit of fun. On the home page I have R2D2 projecting holograms of the hover icons with the deathstar in the background and I have tried to make buttons to match. I have a good collection of sound effects to incorporate from the movies - such as lasers / doors openning etc.

cheffe97

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi TVKiwi,
    since I use a touchscreen myself to control MP I love your effort on bringing up a new touchscreen friendly skin. Since there is no skinner except Harley atm (afaik) would be great if u go ahead.
    I use B2 atm and love this skin but it is not really made for touchscreens (many button clicks) plus we have new functions that are not available for mouse/touch users (previous channel and now on air menu that u only reach via f7/f8 atm).
    Let me know if u need further ideas/help/input.

cheers
    cheffe

eagle

Portal Pro
    September 25, 2004
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mama said:
    I´ld love to finally see the toilet paper skin finished. You can find mockups in the old thread here.

and I'd like to see the Retro-Skin finished :D

eagle

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    TVKiwi said:
    Also - I have been working on a Star Wars theme which although not for everyone is a bit of fun. On the home page I have R2D2 projecting holograms of the hover icons with the deathstar in the background and I have tried to make buttons to match. I have a good collection of sound effects to incorporate from the movies - such as lasers / doors openning etc.

Have you thought about having R2D2 "projecting holographic" images of a Movie Projector (for watching movies) and other similar images that change as the hover images change when cycling through the buttons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom