New to MediaPortal - Got completely setup and working but have a few questions (1 Viewer)

Norm Dressler

February 26, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi all,

I'm new to MediaPortal but not new to HTPC's in general. I've been running one using Linux for many years. There were certain things missing from the current Linux products that pushed me to try a Windows solution. I got the TVServer setup with my Genpix Skywalker-II.

I'm able to watch TV, EPG is working, and generally I'm pleased with the setup. I bought a new MCE remote and it worked out of the box - sure beats pissing around with LIRC :)

I've even setup XBMC PVR on my AppleTV 1 and happily watching TV on it as well.

A few questions though -
1) Is there a tool available that would allow me to make changes to the TVServer (like the GUI product there now) but from my laptop rather then the MediaPortal directly?
2) This question is an easy one - what plugins would people consider the 'must-haves' for an effective setup?

Thanks
Norm

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Norm,

In answer to Q2...

It would seem the 'must have' plugins seem to be..

1. My TVSeries - handles all your recorded TV series.. see here
    2. Moving Pictures - handles all your recorded & ripped movies - see here
    3. Online Videos - a great plugin for watching internet video like YouTube etc - see here
    4. Showtimes - downloads and display movies & trailers for your local film theatres - see here

Hope that helps some.

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi

If you want to have a web frontend etc. for your TV server you could use ForTheRecord TV Server which can be connected to Mediaportal. But this is a completely other product.

Must haves for me are:
    1. MyFilms or MovingPictures for movie collections
    2. My TV Series for series collections
    3. MVCentral for music video collections
    4. PowerScheduler++ for standby and waking up when using the standard TV server
    5. Online Videos for watching YouTube etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom