New to MediaPortal - Windows Server 2008 R2 (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Good luck! :)

P.S.: It'd be great if you could let us know how you get on. Final outcomes and all that.

pballai

Portal Member
    January 11, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I use a USB to RCA converter to get the music out to the Amp (FLAC and MP3).

I am not that interested in "high end" sound but rather music in any room.

pballai

Portal Member
    January 11, 2015
    Home Country
    The server is on the bench at the moment so I will plug it back in when I get a chance today and see what it reports.

pballai

Portal Member
    January 11, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes the USB appears as a USB Sound Card. Tried to run MP again but same results. Must be the Video card. Need to locate one I had around that is better than the on-board video. This is a Dell 1U server so video is not its strong point by design.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I take it you don't have any other windows machines to run the client on.

*edit* Actually that wouldn't be useful since you need a client on the 1U server so the sound comes out of it.

pballai

Portal Member
    January 11, 2015
    Home Country
    It would not work for me anyway as I have a main dedicated touchscreen that needs to run the UI from the server as it is just a USB Touchscreen only, cabled back to the server. The other machines run screenconnect remote control to access the server skin when I want to run from a laptop or desktop. Mobile would use android/apple app to control.

I am going to work on getting a video card into this server. Need to obtain an different riser card to support a newer video card. That will take several days to get shipped here so I will update this thread when I have that sorted out.

I think MP will be worth the effort and I have looked at other open source and this seems the best for my needs.

pballai

Portal Member
    January 11, 2015
    Home Country
    I also noted that the Graphics Driver was the generic Win2008 driver. I updated that with the proper one from ATI, but the error persists.

[2015-01-14 15:45:05,143] [4758 ] [Main ] [FATAL] - GraphicsDevice: Failed to setup DirectX
    SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8876086A], Module: [SharpDX.Direct3D9], ApiCode: [D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE/NotAvailable], Message: Unknown
    at SharpDX.Result.CheckError()
    at SharpDX.Direct3D9.D3D9.Create9Ex(Int32 sDKVersion, Direct3DEx arg1)
    at SharpDX.Direct3D9.Direct3DEx..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.UI.SkinEngine.DirectX.MPDirect3D.Load()
    at MediaPortal.UI.SkinEngine.DirectX.GraphicsDevice.DoReCreateDevice_MainThread()

I am convinced it is the graphics card.

There is a PCI-X 64bit slot free. Can you recommend a card that is know to work that I can pick up cheap on ebay to test? Speed is really not important as I am focused on audio and not video.

I attached an image of the slot (on the off chance that I id'd it wrong)

Thanks,
    PB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom