New to MP1 after losing MC; Can't get channels to populate. (1 Viewer)

John Pendleton

September 24, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi. This is probably covered redundantly in this forum, but I can't get MP1 to recognize a signal from my Hauppage HVR-250 and populate itself with channels. I think I have the right plugin in place, but there's so much jargon on the MediaPortal site it's hard to parse. What am I missing? I got the MC remote to work, but I can't get channels to show up.

John Pendleton

September 24, 2015
Home Country
Yeah, okay thanks, that was helpful, but no worries, the Hauppage digital terrestrial options finally showed up in the Server Configuration application window. Got channels. Now I just can't get a Guide to operate.
This is a common issue, or so I've read from the moment I discovered MP. So I can get the channels to preview in the little Configuration window, but I can't get past the "skin" on the full screen so the TV will appear for real. Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions on this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but I can't get past the "skin" on the full screen so the TV will appear for real.
    Don't attempt to use the Titan skin with a mouse. It won't work because Titan wasn't intended/designed for use with a mouse. Try a different skin. DefaultWide (which also comes with MP) works much better with a mouse.

John Pendleton

September 24, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks, and the DefaultWide skin is much less annoying than Titan, but as I wrote above, I got the original "green button" MC remote to work right away. All these extra steps and plug-ins are not exactly creating a seamless out-of-the-box user experience, though, and I'm not sure I have the right codecs, etc. either selected or even in my system. Whenever I find a new submenu to edit, particularly within the full-screen MP1 interface, a selection is not immediately locked in, so I may throw the application off the correct setting just by "looking at it" -- the classic old person's technology nightmare. Does "open source" now automatically mean installing something has to become a nerdy scavenger hunt? I just want to DVR my OTA shows. Just one function. I don't even play video games, but I own an XBox360 for the sole purpose of interfacing my home theater setup with (now dead in the proverbial water) WMC -- that's all the device has ever done.
    Now what, if I may ask, would be your suggestion for getting a TV Guide to work? The TV still doesn't open in MP1, even in the new skin. And if someone asks me one more time to show them my log, they might not like what they see.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again John

but as I wrote above, I got the original "green button" MC remote to work right away.
    The TV still doesn't open in MP1, even in the new skin.
    1. Open MediaPortal Configuration.
    2. Go to the "plugins" section.
    3. Ensure the TV plugin is enabled.
    If this doesn't help then I don't know what is wrong, and your refusal to provide log files will mean that I can't help you. I simply don't have enough information about the problem without them.

All these extra steps and plug-ins are not exactly creating a seamless out-of-the-box user experience, though...
    I'm not sure what you're referring to. :confused:
    Have you found the quick setup guide in the wiki?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Quick_Setup

...and I'm not sure I have the right codecs, etc. either selected or even in my system.
    Well, for a start there is no "right" option for everybody. If you had posted log files I could have provided a recommendation based on what you have installed. Without them I can only say that most people use the LAV codecs with MediaPortal. We provide an option to install them when you install MediaPortal. If you missed the option, you can install them by installing the "LAVFilters" package from the MediaPortal Extension Installer.

Does "open source" now automatically mean installing something has to become a nerdy scavenger hunt? I just want to DVR my OTA shows. Just one function.
    If you don't like MediaPortal then don't use it. Simple as that.

Now what, if I may ask, would be your suggestion for getting a TV Guide to work?
    The wiki explains your options:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

If you're asking for a specific recommendation: I would choose mc2xml with either the Microsoft service (requires the "donator" version of mc2xml) or the SchedulesDirect service.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

And if someone asks me one more time to show them my log, they might not like what they see.
    We're just trying to help!
    Log files contain the information that we need to help you. If you refuse to provide them then we are forced to guess what is wrong, which is error prone and wastes both our time and yours.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom