New to MP2 - Trying to configure EPG/Schedules Direct (1 Viewer)

BG02578

March 3, 2022
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I was using WMC with Schedules Direct for the US - no problems
I want to try MP2
I have configured MP2 to work with Silicon Dust HD homerun 2 channels

Where can I find simple, up to date instructions to configure EPG/Schedules Direct for MP2
When I open the MP2 TV Server Configuration - I see plenty options but nothing for Schedules Direct.

Where can I find a plugin if required?

I have read some posts and the wiki, but none of them answer the question of what to actually do.

Thanks
Barry

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Where can I find simple, up to date instructions to configure EPG/Schedules Direct for MP2
    Where can I find a plugin if required?
    First: I don't use MP2; I use MP1.
    Second: I have never used an internet EPG with MP.
    However, hopefully the following is (mostly) correct:

TV Server is used by both MP1 and MP2, but it is described in the MP1 section of the Wiki, so read that for general info on setting up TV Server. Start here.

There is a TV-Server plugin for Schedules Direct, which you can download from here.

I believe that there is one "gotcha" when using this plugin: it works only with the XML form of the Schedules Direct data. It does not work with the newer JSON form of the data. So you need to select the XML form of the data in your setup on the Schedules Direct web site.

In principle you could download the JSON form of the data, and then use some sort of conversion utility to convert that into the equivalent XML form, but I don't know what is available to do that.

MP2 is in the process of supporting the TV Mosaic server, which is now open source freeware, but it is still a "work in progress", and so perhaps not yet ready for the novice.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I've been using the Schedules Direct plugin with good results in MP 1.29 in the US. I'm pretty sure the TV Server is the same for MP 2.

(edit) I haven't changed my settings for several years... so I'm still using XML from Schedules Direct.

Last edited:

BG02578

March 3, 2022
    Home Country
    Thanks - but the download link to the plugin seems to be broken. It appears from the posts on this forum that the plugin only works for MP1. I would have thought that one should start using MP2 instead of MP1. Is there still a free guide solution for MP2?

Thanks

Barry

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks - but the download link to the plugin seems to be broken. It appears from the posts on this forum that the plugin only works for MP1. I would have thought that one should start using MP2 instead of MP1. Is there still a free guide solution for MP2?

Thanks

Barry
    Search for EPGBuddy and Tempest in this forum. Last one seems a new tool and I haven’t tried yet.

BG02578

March 3, 2022
    Home Country
    Another question, can I use EPG123 (with schedules direct) to produce an XML file for MP2?

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    the download link to the plugin seems to be broken.
    Strange. I have just followed the links, and they eventually resolve to GitHub (from which I have just downloaded the plugin). However, it comes back to me now that there is a problem with the GitHub version which has not been fixed (on GitHub). But a fixed version is available from this post.

The plugin is for TV Server, which was originally created for use with MP1. I think that that is why it specifies MP1. However, I think that it should work with the TV Server in MP2 (but I have not tried that).

can I use EPG123 (with schedules direct) to produce an XML file for MP2?
    TV Server can import an XML file containing an EPG (there is another plugin for that), but of course the XML file has to be in the format that TV Server understands.

Although I used WMC in the past, I never used it with EPG123, so I am unclear what EPG123 actually does. Does it import the downloaded data straight into WMC, or does it generate an XML file? If the latter, it might be usable with TV Server. If the tags are not quite compatible, you might need to write some sort of fix-up program to massage the file into the form required by TV Server.

On balance, I would suggest persevering with the Schedules Direct plugin to see if you can get it to work on your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    If MP2 uses the same tv server as MP1 then "324457_SchedulesDirectPlugin-1.11.0.3_unofficial.mpe1" may work. It works on MP1 tv server.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    An additional option you might want to try.

I have been using using SchedulesDirect for many years now (with MP1, not 2 - but as is said elsewhere it's the MP1 TVServer that MP2 uses so all should work just the same) and I use MC2XML to grab the data from there (there seem to be lots of options for downloading this program). And yes, it will access the JSON version of SchedulesDirect. The result is an XML file that the XMLTV plugin for TVServer is happy to use without any mods. MC2XML is quite easy to install and configure to get the lineup you want.

BG02578

March 3, 2022
    Home Country
    I run MC2XLM, and rename the xml file tvguide.xml (it looks OK).
    I copy the text for xmltv.dtd and name the file xmltv.dtd.
    I put all the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins
    I load an XMLTV plugin.
    I run the TV server setup
    I run the plugin
    I select import new tvguide.xml
    I click OK and the TV server Configuration just crashes - no error messages.

When I try to use Import I get:
    The expected TOKEN Is 'DOCTYPE'.line 120, position 3.

A couple of questions:
    Why is no one who answers my question and seems to understand MP is running MP 2 (everyone seems to run MP 1.xx)?
    How do I know if I have the correct MC2XML, xmltv.dtd,and XmlTV plugin?
    Should I just use MP 1?
    What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom