New Webinterface (1 Viewer)

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At the moment the test application is not ready for a public release here in the forum and end-users, because you need some know-how about Global Assembly Cache and .NET 2.0 to get it running. The needed steps can be done by an installer later, but at the moment I have no time to create an installer. On the other hand there are still a lot of things to do.

Admiral,Sam: You can send me your mail address via PM and I will send you the application.

My test application consist of two components at the moment. A class library which contains the server and an windows form application for starting, stopping, configuring and monitoring the server like Sam's monitor application. I think we can combine this two parts.

My next steps will be to create a windows service of my application, a better configuration handling to the server and methods to get status information from the server.

Regards,
    MisterD

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that this answer is to a posting from page 1 ;) LOL

Hi tkortell,

well, I don't know what advantages one would have from running MPW on another server than the TV Server. For using MPW the server needs to be up and running anyway as MPW communicates with it for almost all data (well at least that's the plan). Also I'm not quite sure if that communication is possible/easy to realize over the network...

The Apache asp module is outdated. No new version since 2004 and it doesn't support asp.net 2.0 at all. So pretty useless for us :(

Maschine

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi Maschine,

Thanks for the answer. The thing is that I have a smal "Linux" (ClarkConnect) server/gateway/firewall that is currently hosting my web stuff. I thought maby it could host the MPW also but if the MPW must run on the TV server computer thats fine with me. ;)

Regards / Tomas

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    well, I don't know what advantages one would have from running MPW on another server than the TV Server...

For me it would be VERY useful. My gateway machine (the computer I have all the ports opened) is a Linux computer, this computer has FTP and also my Apache webserver running on that is open to the outside world. I can VNC get to my other computers by going to the Linux computer first then opening another VNC client on the Linux computer. But it would be much better if I could just jump to the webpage (on the Linux computer) where I would have the MPweb interface running. My TVserver doesn't have much horsepower and I don't want to run anymore on it than I have to. I have a few lower powered computers and don't have a high powered computer yet to run everything on - that is why I would like to have maybe a lightweight service running on my MP computer that could connect to my webserver (Linux). Would that be possible in the future?

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same here. My only Windows computer is the one that is running MP. I have a ClarkConnect router/mail and webserver/fileserver. I wan't to have my HTPC as dedicated as possible to MP, zo I can minimize cost on hardware. Next to that it would be illogical, in my situation, to have two webservers running.

Another interesting advantage might be to make the webinterface able to handle several connections to different servers at the same time. This would make it possible to offer a centralised, colocated server on which anyone with approval of the owner can create an account to connect to their HTPC. This is something I've suggested before. I think it would have many advantages.
    A central place where XML guides could be stored and thrue the connection synchronised with the HTPC. Canal and program logo's could be stored and downloaded/uploaded. the chanel configuration files could be stored there. All managable thrue the webinterface
    Makes sense to me.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,
    it might be possible that you can use the new web interface with linux and mono. I think that mono must only support the following things:
    - .NET Remoting for communication with the TVServer and MP
    - ASP.NET for the web application
    - Standard socket implementation and HTTP runtime for the web server.
    But I think that we should concentrate on windows plattforms.
    For me the support of multiple servers is a must and it should be possible.

Small update from my web server application:
    - Converted to windows service and configuration file added
    - Still needed are logging and error handling.
    I hope that I it will be finished this week.

Regards,
    MisterD

thechad

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Geelong, Australia
    Home Country
    Hi Everyone,

How is this coming along?

misterd is there any chance your code could be checked into plugin-svn so I can have a play with it. Don't want to have to re-invent the wheel to do some testing of some web services on the TV server

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Everyone,

How is this coming along?

misterd is there any chance your code could be checked into plugin-svn so I can have a play with it. Don't want to have to re-invent the wheel to do some testing of some web services on the TV server

Check out SVN for the mp-webinterface sf project - http://www.sf.net/projects/mp-webinterface.

Look in the Version2 folder - there's been quite a lot of activity in there for the web server.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom