Newbie here, your opinions needed please (1 Viewer)

pengeron

November 17, 2005
Below is my starting PC specs:

Dell Dimension 2350, Intel Celeron Processor at 2.20GHz
Integrated Graphics Card
Integrated Sound
100 GB HD
512 MB Memory
NO AGP slot
3 PCI slots

I would like to Watch and Record at the same time, I know I will need a better video card with TV Out, any Ideas on a
a cheap card that is supported and will do the trick?, and will I need 1 or 2 Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 Personal Video Recorder
for Windows XP Media Center Edition cards, my local Best Buy has them for $84.00 each with remote. If I do need 2 TV Tuner cards that will take all
3 PCI slots with the Video Card, do I need a NIC card as well?

My current TV setup is a Time Warner Digital cable box hooked to my 32" Panasonic TV, the TV only has two RCA jacks for audio and Video, the only
S-Video connection is on the cable box, whats the best way to connect the PC to work with that setup?

Thanks in Advance for the help !

niekh

Portal Member
October 19, 2004
pengeron said:
Below is my starting PC specs:

I would like to Watch and Record at the same time, I know I will need a better video card with TV Out, any Ideas on a
a cheap card that is supported and will do the trick?, and will I need 1 or 2 Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 Personal Video Recorder
for Windows XP Media Center Edition cards, my local Best Buy has them for $84.00 each with remote. If I do need 2 TV Tuner cards that will take all
3 PCI slots with the Video Card, do I need a NIC card as well?

Thanks in Advance for the help !

Another option is the analogue dual tuner board from Hauppauge, PVR 500 MCE (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr500mce.html), which essentially has two PVR 150's on board thus saving one PCI slot compared to a setup using two separate PVR 150's.

Haven't tried that board though so I can't say anything about how it works but I'm sure someone else here can fill in the blanks!

/Nils

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Nvidia Geforce 2 Mx with tv out for $30 Canadian

That is a bad recommendation. The Geforce 2 card does not allow you to use MP to its fullest. Consider purchasing an FX5200/Radeon 9600 and upwards if you don't want to sacrifice performance or playback features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom