Newbie - Moving from Snapstream BTV to MP (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Rick

Do you have any suggestions around EPG data?
    That's a very broad question. In short, the answer is "no, not beyond this":
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/setup-help.124506/#post-1061869

If you have more specific questions about any of the above methods then I can try to help... but please keep in mind I live on the other side of the world (New Zealand). In other words, I have no personal experience with most of the sources, tools and methods people in the US use to get EPG data.

Regards,
    mm

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Even though I was not asked ;-), being in the US myself, I would recommend Schedules Direct, so far the easiest way to access EPG data. I know they charge for it ($ 25 per year) but I think it's worth it. There are some postings about using only the trial and work around the subscription, but I never used that. They offer
    Quote/

All memberships come with a 7 day free trial, and renewal dates are calculated from either your membership/trial expiration date or the date of payment, whichever is later. This way, you won't lose out on your trial if you subscribe before its over, and we won't penalize you for letting your membership lapse for awhile before renewing.
    The data feed is licensed from Tribune Media Services via Zap2it.com for the sole use of our members with our Approved Applications. Please respect the license terms and our Subscriber Agreement.
    Please note that the data feed provided with your membership consists of raw XML. You'll want to use one of the applications on the "Approved Applications" list. That may even be how you got here in the first place!
    The following membership levels are available:
    Member (extended trial) $6
    • 2-month membership.
    • Includes access to Listings Service.
    • Good for those people who need more than the 7 day free trial but aren't quite ready to commit to a full year.
    • Does not auto-renew.
    • Only available to natural persons (no corporations).
    Member $25
    • 1-year membership.
    • Includes access to Listings Service.
    • Does not auto-renew.
    • Only available to natural persons (no corporations).
    Quote/

As a beginner, I would start with the free trail, check how it works with your line-up and then go from there. Please keep in mind that most of the MP coders are located overseas, so there is not much available for the states.

Edit:
    At the moment I would at max recommend the two month membership. The reason for that is that Tribune Media Services will not supply SD with data after mid November. According to the SD forum there is a new source in the making, but I'm not convinced right now how that will work out.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Hi, MM,
    one question, would your script help me to avoid running my STB-RF output through a VCR to have composite on my Hauppauge PVR 150 tunercard?
    Would be great, and save a little on the power bill ;-)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    one question, would your script help me to avoid running my STB-RF output through a VCR to have composite on my Hauppauge PVR 150 tunercard?
    I doubt it... but then I don't understand why you'd need to run the feed through the VCR. Can you elaborate? I'm intrigued... :)

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    I doubt it... but then I don't understand why you'd need to run the feed through the VCR. Can you elaborate? I'm intrigued... :)

Ok, since my STB, a Dish VIP 222 has a so called home distribution output, which supplies both tuner signals via 1 coax cable to all connected TV's I was trying to get at least the secondary output into MePo. Via UHF channel 26. That has never worked. Well, it did, but no channel change via IRSS possible. At some point I stumbled over your workaround via composite input on the tunercard ( don't ask where I read this, my middle name is Alzheimer LOL ) and that worked, so I've hooked up the STB to the vcr and from there to the 150 via composite cable. The problem is the automatic stand by
    from the vcr, it turns off after some time.
    Does this make any sense?

Edit:
    Quote/
    I'm intrigued... :)
    Quote/
    Finally, somebody ;-)

Edit 2>
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, Rick !!!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, I see. So you currently have:
    STB -- [RF 26] --> VCR -- [composite] --> PVR-150

All things going well, it should be possible to get rid of the VCR. :)
    ...but you'll need a different script because your STB outputs on channel 26 instead of channel 3.

Based on the info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies

...please try the attached script. Note the channels must all have country set to USA.

Attachments

• Fix Frequency Overrides [ch 26].zip
      11.6 KB

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Thank you so much, MM.
    Will try the first thing in the morning, It's almost midnight here.
    Btw, one more time, sorry for hijacking.

rkstant

Portal Member
    September 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Thanks MM - I appreciate all you've done already. I didn't realize you were in NZ.
    Spachti - no problem. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Rick

rkstant

Portal Member
    September 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Spachti,

I hope that you don't mind a newbie-level followup question on EPG.
    I took your advice and signed up for the Schedules Direct service, added the plugin to my TV-Server Configuration app and followed the instructions in the configuration screen for Schedules Direct. But I don't see the EPG information in MP. I've let it go for about 4 hours. Is there something else that I need to do?

Rick

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Rick

Make sure you've restarted the TV service.
    Also, in order to get the guide data to link to your existing channels, you'll need to rename the channels you created to match the SchedulesDirect callsign. Otherwise you'll end up with two sets of channels: the ones you created, and another set the SD plugin creates automatically. Your channels would be tunable but have no guide data; the SD channels would have beautiful guide data but not be tunable.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom