newbie needs help with pvr-150 (2 Viewers)

rlongfield

Portal Member
January 4, 2012
I left mythtv for Media Portal and I am running into some hiccups. I am trying to get my pvr-150 card working in Media Portal. When I scan my cable connection for analog channels I get 'no source' for all the channels.
I know the card works fine as it was just working fine in mythtv. In device manager the card is showing up as 'Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI (26xxx). The PVR-150 is a hardware encoding card from my understanding so I am a bit confused as to why it's not working.
I am going to test the card with WintV if I can ever find the CD..

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there and welcome :)

please attach full debug log files after the attemp to scan.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome rlongfield :)

rekenaar is absolutely right - we need log files to help you out with a problem like this. Plenty of people have the PVR-150 working with MP if it is any comfort.

How to get logs?
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left hand corner.
    3. Zip up all the files you find there and post them here.

mm

rlongfield

Portal Member
    January 4, 2012
    Thanks,

So far I'm pretty impressed with media Portal. I was hoping for the install and go setup I'd heard about but nothing ever works right out of the box for me when working with computers.

Here are the log files as requested. I didn't even notice the link for the logs. I'll have to take a peak at them myself.

edit: I was able to get Win-TV 7 installed and the card works fine. Thought that, that bit of info might help narrow down the problem.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again rlongfield

Apologies for the delay! :sorry:
    To be honest I am struggling to see anything wrong in your logs. The tuner did lock on to signal once (channel 44) and it should have added a channel to the TV channels list as a result. Are you certain it is not there?

TV Server does have a means for getting names for analog channels however it is hit and miss - doesn't work for everyone. When I scan for analog channels my channels just end up named to match the physical channel number they were found on. In other words I would have expected to see a channel named "44" in your channel list. Even if TV Server found a name for the channel it should be relatively easy to find it if you sort the channel list by the "mapped cardtypes" column (the mapped cardtype for analog channels would be "analog")...

Perhaps I am misinterpretting the problem - maybe you were expecting to find more than just one channel?

On a bit of a different topic...
    I recommend that you tweak the values on the settings tab (next tab over from the scanning tab). For analog cable in America or Canada I would be recommending:

Video standard = NTSC_M
    Frame rate = 29.97 fps (NTSC)
    Frame size = 720 x 480 NTSC ITU-601 D1 *or* 704 x 480 NTSC TV broadcast

mm

rlongfield

Portal Member
    January 4, 2012
    Hi again rlongfield

Apologies for the delay! :sorry:

No Worries,

To be honest I am struggling to see anything wrong in your logs. The tuner did lock on to signal once (channel 44) and it should have added a channel to the TV channels list as a result. Are you certain it is not there?

I didn't see anything wrong in the logs either. Nope I double checked and there is no Channel 44 in the channel list.

TV Server does have a means for getting names for analog channels however it is hit and miss - doesn't work for everyone. When I scan for analog channels my channels just end up named to match the physical channel number they were found on. In other words I would have expected to see a channel named "44" in your channel list. Even if TV Server found a name for the channel it should be relatively easy to find it if you sort the channel list by the "mapped cardtypes" column (the mapped cardtype for analog channels would be "analog")...

I'll double check this tonight, I'm locked out of my desktop at home right now :(

Perhaps I am misinterpretting the problem - maybe you were expecting to find more than just one channel?

Yah I was expecting the 65 or so analog channels on my cable connection.

On a bit of a different topic...
    I recommend that you tweak the values on the settings tab (next tab over from the scanning tab). For analog cable in America or Canada I would be recommending:

Video standard = NTSC_M
    Frame rate = 29.97 fps (NTSC)
    Frame size = 720 x 480 NTSC ITU-601 D1 *or* 704 x 480 NTSC TV broadcast

mm

I'll be sure to do that.

Thanks for the tips.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I didn't see anything wrong in the logs either. Nope I double checked and there is no Channel 44 in the channel list.

I'll double check this tonight, I'm locked out of my desktop at home right now :(
    Hmmm, strange.

Yah I was expecting the 65 or so analog channels on my cable connection.
    Right, okay. Any idea what physical channel numbers or frequencies they are on? The scan is covering channels 1 through 158 which roughly corresponds with 72 through 798 MHz. I know at least on my analog tuner that my scan covers approximately the same frequency range but I have 300 odd channels to scan. The number of channels and frequency range covered depends on your tuner's capabilities, the country you select, and the mode (cable/antenna) that you select.

mm

rlongfield

Portal Member
    January 4, 2012
    Hmmm, strange.
    well in my world not really. This generally happens to me. I'm sure I could crash a Mac

Right, okay. Any idea what physical channel numbers or frequencies they are on? The scan is covering channels 1 through 158 which roughly corresponds with 72 through 798 MHz. I know at least on my analog tuner that my scan covers approximately the same frequency range but I have 300 odd channels to scan. The number of channels and frequency range covered depends on your tuner's capabilities, the country you select, and the mode (cable/antenna) that you select.

The channel numbers run from 2 though 67 (I believe that's the top end of analog here). The 150 has had no problems in the past and was working just fine last week in Myth. I made sure to select Canada as my country and cable not antenna (that's a different card)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I'm sure I could crash a Mac
    :)

The channel numbers run from 2 though 67 (I believe that's the top end of analog here). The 150 has had no problems in the past and was working just fine last week in Myth. I made sure to select Canada as my country and cable not antenna (that's a different card)
    Okay.

Well, let's be practical. It is possible to add channels manually. If you know some of the channel numbers for channels that you're interested in then we can use that as a way to test whether there is only a problem with scanning or if there seems to be a more general problem. So here are some instructions for adding a channel manually:

1. Go to the TV Channels section in TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "add".
    3. Enter a name up the top.
    4. Click "add".
    5. Enter the following details:
    - channel = (the physical channel number of the channel eg. 44)
    - frequency = 0 (leave as default)
    - input type = cable
    - country = Canada
    - is VCR signal = untick
    - video source = tuner
    - audio source = tuner/automatic
    6. Click "OK" and "OK" again.
    7. Expand the TV Channels node in the left panel and go to the TV Mapping section.
    8. Select the PVR-150 tuner up the top.
    9. Select the test channel on the left and use the '>' button to map/link the channel to the tuner.

Now you should be able to test that channel with the preview function back in the TV Channels section or in the Manual Control section (start timeshifting). If any of that doesn't make sense then let me know and I'll try to explain in more detail.

I notice you also have another analog tuner (part of a hybrid tuner perhaps?) that you may be able to test with. If you send a PM to the guy from -->this thread<-- then he might be able to direct you to some software encoders that would enable that tuner to work. Come to think of it, the SoftMCE package from Hauppauge might install since you have a Hauppauge product. You can get that from the bottom of the accessories tab -->here<--.

mm
    PS: potentially obvious reminder (please don't be offended, just trying to cover everything) - I take it you're aware that you can only use the tuner in one application at a time? TV Server runs as a Windows service. If you attempt a scan or otherwise use the tuner in some way within TV Server and then test in [for example] WinTV then TV Server would probably be thrown for a loop. You may have to restart TV Server before TV Server could regain proper control over the tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom