newbie tips please (1 Viewer)

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Hi,

I'd really like to develop a new skin and I've looked at the XML files and images etc and can undestand the basics of how the skin is produced, but there are some bits I just don't get.

Could somebody explain the home page, as I see it there are two main controls, the listbox for the plugins, and the image control which is linked to it.

I can see how to change the location, but I don't get how to change the actual images or the highlighted text colour etc.

Also can someone point me to where I cn download the skin tool as it times out for me, and advise me whether you pros use any other tools, like XML editors etc. to create skins, or can you do everything using the skinning tool?

Lastly whats the best method for creating a skin, currently I've created a completed home page in Corel and am going to export the different elements to image files, is that the best way?

Ta Robo

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
U change/override the images in the ‘media’ folder and the relevant xml info. But the most important thing u need to do is delete the files “packedgfx.xml†and all the “packedgfx.png†of the skin you are edting before u start it up next time. I was having that problem too, when I started playing around with skins.

With the xml file u don’t need anything special u can just use a txt editor to open the xml file. E.g ‘notepad’

Hope this helps.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Hi, yeah i can change the images etc, and delete the packaged files, but I can't see where you link the My Videos image to the My Video text in the menu list so it changes when the menu item changes.

Also I don't understand where it says to open the My Videos plugin when you click the My Videos on the menu.

Does that make sense??

Does everyone use notepadto edit XML files? I find it a bit of a jumble to read, I like colours etc.!!

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
I have no idea about that, I think it must be part of the program itself in relation to the linking of text and the hover image and u don’t have the ability to link mutable images to one text. U can only use the preset image names. E.g hover_my videos

I don’t use notepad for the same resting as u, I just downloaded some random xml editor.

Srry I’m not much help but I seem to be the only one relying..

p.s here is a skin I’m working on. Mind u it’ still in the early stages, still working on home page and have prob with hover images when not in 1280x720, not correct ratio.
Menu-V3.jpg

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Woot, got a fast learning curve on this, I now got a sweet looking home page, and clearly a few more questions!

Where are the overlay controls, e.g the now playing text, the tiny TV screen, and the rec icon etc.

I presume its possible to add fonts?, but how do you do it?

Oh also what do the ID numbers in the XML controls mean? do they have to be unique for that XML file or to the enitre project?

PS HTPC_for_me, skin lookin good, nice and clean :lol:

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
found them...
videooverlay.xml
musicoverlay.xml
:lol:

Should've looked harder!!

I've been editing them and moving stuff around a fair bit and adding new items etc but I get so far and it seems to just stop working altogether, i.e. I move an item changing the x,y but on refresh it doesn't move, and then stuff starts to disappear, I've tried renumbering the ID's because I think they've got something to do with it but then everythin disappears!! Any advice anyone?

Does there have to be a 0 ID and do the ID sequence the order items are rendered on screen?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi robomonkey,

If you want to keep things simple, you can also take a look at the MediaPortal skin editor (and other tools for developing skins) here.
    Good luck with your skin.

Kind regards,
    Michel

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Hi Scoop,

I've been using the skin editor, but that doesn't always show all the controls, like labels etc. and I alsocan't see how to add items, so started editing the XML files directly and now I actually find that easier, I just don't understand why my edits don't always work

Lol, learning Corel at the same time, I have to get 60% done before the holidays finish otherwise once I go back to work I'll never get it done, I hope to get TV, Videos, music, plus all the overlays complete, once I figure these little snags out I should be sorted.

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi Robomonkey,

Maybe the tool written by Smirnuff could help? It allows you to refresh a skin with a command key from within MP. I know MP does a lot of caching for at least the graphics, in the skin\<skin name>\packedgfx*.* files.

Kind regards,
    Michel

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Heh, yeah been using that as well, sooo handy, thats why directly editing the XML files is easier, you can sit with a laptop edit the XML press R on the HTPC and bam! you see the changes immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom