News Plugin (Rss, Atom) (2 Viewers)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The plugin has been fully integrated into MP2.
    For bug reports or feature requests please create a new thread in the appropriate forums.

Hi,
    I started to write a small plugin that will allow reading news inside MediaPortal 2.

The plugin has its own window to view all feeds and items and also features a workflow model that can be used to show a changing current item anywhere in the skin.
    You can add your own feeds in Settings.

Git branch:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/tree/NewsPlugin

Attached are binaries for the non devs ;) Just extract into the Plugins dir of your MP2 install.
    01_home.jpg02_feeds.jpg03_news_items_MP.jpg04_news_details.jpg05_news_items_heise.jpg06_news_details.jpg

Current default feeds, see wiki page please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Great work!
    Sorry to say, it seems nothing happens when trying to enter it from homescreen....

Logs attached. Using Reflexion.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've tried to compile it own my own. When using the batch files the plugin is not build, yet.
    Attached you can find a patch which enables the plugin in release config.
    It also removes the mixed platform/any cpu configuration and is using the x86 only.

I also can confirm that I have not default RSS feed. Maybe we could use
    Code:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/atom
    for this?

Last edited:

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Spragleknas, your log says:
    Code:
    System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins\News\News.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
    File name: 'file:///C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins\News\News.dll' ---> System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.
    which sounds like windows is preventing the dll from being loaded. Can you right-click it, go to properties and check if it somehow says "untrusted"? It sounds like what morpheus said here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/onlinevideos-for-mediaportal-2-alpha.106275/page-2

chefkoch:
    Thanks for the patch, will merge it. The Rss collecting is done in background - so might take a while. currently in starts only when you enter the news plugin and invokes an event. Did you try to exit it and enter again? There should be 4 feeds by default.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay, so far it's working quite nicely. I already created another request for the OnlineFacilities.

Great work (y) ;)
    This "simple" plugin is also able to demonstrate the endless possibilities to design a list or a list item.
    There is no picture displayed when reading the news item. (3rd screenie)
    1.png 2.png 3.png

Even after opening the plugin within Reflexion skin it took some a short time to load the feeds.
    If this time increases with more and more feeds, maybe the waiting cursor (animation) would help to show the user there is something going on.

Here are a few screenies for Reflexion skin, of course it is not that nice and not optimized, yet, but at least it is working without additional skin files.
    r1.png r2.png r3.png r4.png

As you can see the menu image is missing for the news plugin.

@morpheus_xx There was already another case, where it was not easy to read the content in Reflexion skin. Would it be better to define a semi-transparant layer by default or only modify these screens explicitly when we notice the problem?

@offbyone Thanks for your efforts and this plugin. I like the way the news items are displayed in the default skin a lot. :) (y)

Last edited:

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks ;)
    The Item Details Screen is still work in progress and I'm trying to get the default listitems to display a bit nicer on Reflexion as well. Might not work as it has a different base resolution than the default skin. As fallback I'll come up with some easy ResourceWrapper for the height, which can easily be overriden with one line.

For the next "release", the menu image for the home screen will also be added as well as a config section to add your feeds.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am actually using the DateTimeConverter that is on the MP2 core - I guess that one does not take the MP language setting into account.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @offbyone, is it ok that I do some small xaml refactorings? I would like to move some constants (i.e. Grid Height) to an own file, so Reflexion skin can override the values without changing the style.

I will think about the readability of the news screen. The "default" skin uses a GroupBox around all content, but this would not fit Reflexion so well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom