News Plugin (Rss, Atom) (1 Viewer)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What do you think about this version? Placing a news item in the region of weather. We that could switch in some interval between weather and a random news item:
    Although, the place is very limited so we need to use tiny font and a scroll label. The small icon could be removed (thumb of news)
    Honestly, I don't like it,
    • It won't be big enough to be read from a distance,
    • if size is ok, it won't be enough text
    IMO not everything of the "old-school"-days is bad.

A ticker might be the best, but not at the top, because most TV users are used to ticker feeds at the bottom, and then it is still near the weather area. So both places of "additional" information are not split and spread to different areas of the screen.

If necessary, it might also be possible to increase the area of the playback controls (yellow).
    news on home.png

Last edited:

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx
    Hopefully my comment did not stopped you from improving the "NewsWidget" ;)

@offbyone
    I did a rebase of the news plugin with latest dev branch. You can compare
    current news branch with dev: https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/compare/dev...NewsPlugin
    and rebased news branch with dev: https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/compare/dev...NewsPlugin_Rebased

During the rebase I merge your intial commit and my fix for the solution file into one single commit.
    I also removed the changes you have done in commit 2d13583 to FontAssetCore.cs. Replacement commit is 9f199c7.

Could you please check whether your changes in commit 2d13583 for FontAssetCore where still needed or if they are obsolete after the rework of the FontRendering, which was done already in dev-branch.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I thought about the placement of news inside Reflexion, but none of the available options I really like. So I think I will skip it for Reflexion, but will use the RSS newsticker inside Titanium homescreen, because there is the place for it available.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The FontAssetCore change should not have been in the News branch anyway and should also no longer be needed, since Albert fixed them in dev differently. You can update the NewPlugin branch with you changes if you want.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here are the first screenshots of Titanium with News integration on home screen:

67_news_homescreen.jpg

The footer is separated into 2 parts: left is the news summary, right the full content, starting to scroll after 2 seconds

68_news_overview.jpg

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Cool!
    Btw, isn't the name Titan - not Titanium?

Hope you find time to "blog" this in the skinning guide ;)

IMO reading the whole width is a bit disturbing on TV (same for webpages on laptop as well)... Just my 5c - perhaps @Designers can have their say...

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am now using a xml file that holds info for the regional default feeds. It is attached here, please everyone feel free to add more feed sets for any languages and regions, so we can have a pretty good file when MP2 is released. Try to find feeds in your country that won't vanish soon but are provided from really big websites and give general information that is most likely to be interesting for the majority of people in your country ;)

Calling @Developers, @Testers, @Moderating to get some feeds for their respective countries! Come on, can't be to hard to post a few RSS feed links+name from sites that you visit in your language!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom