NFO Metadata Extractor plugin (1 Viewer)

hafblade

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Trier, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi and hello,

I want to present my first version of my newly created NFO metadata extractor.
It's really a first alpha release so don't expect wonders.

What does this plugin do?
The plugin is a new extractor for MediaPortal 2. It searches for NFO files which look like defined in the XBMC wiki.
In a NFO file meta data for your movies / series / music videos can be saved so that you don't have to rescrape all your data again. My NFO extractor gives the possibility to retrieve this data from NFO files and write them into your MediaPortal 2 server database.

At the moment the following file types are supported: ts mkv avi mp4 mpeg mpg flv
All other file types especially DVD folders etc. are not supported yet.

How can I install this in my MediaPortal 2 environment?
The plugin is divided into three single plugins:
- NfoMovieMetadataExtractor
- NfoSeriesMetadataExtractor
- NfoMusicVideoMetadataExtractor

To install this plugin only extract the files from the "Nfo Extractors v0_1 Alpha.zip" attachment and copy the folders into your plugins folder in your MediaPortal 2 server folder.

How can I use the extractor?
Create new shares in your MediaPortal 2 user interface and select Movie/Series/Video as Media Aspects.
After some searching on your harddrive the data will be included in your database.

Are there screenshots?
No. Due to the fact that this plugin is working in the background of your server nothing can be screenshoted here. :)

Feedback?
Sure! I would love to get some feedback. Test it like hell and write what worked and what didn't.

Updates:
  • 2013-10-04: Added sources and binaries for a MP2-Alpha 3 compatible version [morpheus_xx]. Not tested, please post your results here!

Attachments

• Nfo Extractors v0_1 Source.zip
    6.1 MB
  • Nfo Extractors v0_1 Alpha.zip
    22.1 KB
  • NfoExtractors_MP2_Alpha3_Sources.7z
    7.1 KB
  • NfoExtractors_MP2_Alpha3_Binaries.7z
    12.4 KB
Last edited by a moderator:

morpheus_xx

Lead Dev MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you very much for you development! It's really great to see more devs working on MP2 :) (y)

I'll take a look on the sources when I find a bit more time (I'm afraid this will be next week :()

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No problem. I'll do some changes this week so that it's possible to import dvd folder nfos and to import multi episode nfo files. Furthermore I'll change some formatting issues in the code due to the fact that it looks like java-style at the moment. ;-)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Halfblade thanks for your work to add support for reading the xbmc nfo files to MP2.

I did a first test. Attached you can find the content of my test directories, except the video files. I also attached my log files.

I only tested the movie feature for now. First the good thing :) The year of the movies has been read correctly.
    years.png
    • At the beginning I wanted to remove the OnlineLibraries plugin from MP2 to prevent the Online Lookup, but I checked the Nfo*plugin's requirements before and noticed it depends on OnlineLibraries.
      For which components it this DLL needed? Might there be any other way to completely disable the online lookup now? (I know it should be possible to configure all those things later, but this should not be part of the discussion now nor it is part of the tests I do)
    • The movie titles does not seem to be read from the nfo files, nor the posters or backdrops are used from the folders.
      titles.png
    • The actors aren't read.
      actors.png
    • A genre "/" has been added, even if this character is used only as a separator,

Attachments

• nfo-files.zip
      5.4 MB
    • 1st test.zip
      327 KB
    Last edited:

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Chefkoch,

Pictures:
    At the moment the Online library is used for downloading the cover / poster / fanart pictures. My scraper only reads NFO files at the moment.
    This will change in the next release. I talked about this with Morpheus and it seems that I have to change some further things so that it is also possible to read pictures as banner files etc.

Genre:
    At the moment the logic is so that the genre strings are only divided by SPACES and these genres are taken as genres in MediaPortal. Perhaps I should tune this logic ;)

Other data:
    For the other data I'll do some tests with your NFO files and than I'll put the changes in the next release.

Thank you for your testing. I'll have a look at it today. :)

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Chefkoch,

some further question. I've looked at your NFO files and haven't found any actor tags in it. Do you want the ones from the credits tag? There are only a few entries in it. This wouldn't be correct I think.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    some further question. I've looked at your NFO files and haven't found any actor tags in it. Do you want the ones from the credits tag? There are only a few entries in it. This wouldn't be correct I think.
    oops, that I wanted to check before posting it, but unfortunately forgot to do it. sorry, I'll fix the nfo files.

Genre:
    At the moment the logic is so that the genre strings are only divided by SPACES and these genres are taken as genres in MediaPortal. Perhaps I should tune this logic ;)
    In xbmc's wiki each item of a multi-item list (genre, style, actors...) has it's own xml node. So I guess I also have to recheck my info files against this.

In my opinion, we should support the standard first, and maybe use workarounds, like having all genre in one xml node, later.

Splitting the genre by space only, might also split one genre into two for some languages. Like written above separating might not be needed when having proper nfo files.

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Chefkoch,

in one of my scrapers I already use the possibility to have more than one genre tag and furthermore I split there for space , . / \ and so on.
    I'll add this to every scraper and throw the space separation out. You are completely right that this is no good idea for entries like "Science fiction" etc.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Chefkoch,

in one of my scrapers I already use the possibility to have more than one genre tag and furthermore I split there for space , . / \ and so on.
    I'll add this to every scraper and throw the space separation out. You are completely right that this is no good idea for entries like "Science fiction" etc.
    I used Ember MediaManager to create the nfo files, but it does store all lists in one node with separators instead of separated nodes.

for documentation and reference:
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40885
    http://ember.purplepig.net/issues/52

Any other recommendations for nfo editors to prevent modifying them completely manually?

Last edited:

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Normally I also use EmberMediaManager. For me it's the best solution but I don't have any multi episode files. You could perhaps abuse xbmc for it but you have to use the file naming of xbmc (see xbmc wiki). Perhaps it could work also with ember with xbmc naming conventions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom