No 5.1 with AVI's (1 Viewer)

aXeR

Portal Member
February 26, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
After much jigging and poking I have got MKV's and DVD ISO's to make use of either ffdshow or AC3 in 5.1 surround sound (Dolby Digital I think) but for some reason, I've not been able to get AVI's to work in surround despite the AVI I'm testing in particularly coming from the Microsoft website and definitely having 5.1.

If I play the clip in Windows Media Player 11 I get regular 2 channel sound as with MP however if I use Media Player classic my amp automatically detects a Dolby Digital 3/2.1 signal and plays as it should.

Obviously one way of fixing the issue is just to use an external player but I would rather not do that so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help!

A bit of background info is that the system is an Aopen MP45-DR running Vista 64bit which is fully up-to-date with a new install of MP an the following codecs installed; AC3, ffdshow and Combined Community Codec Pack.

Cheers

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I've not been able to get AVI's to work in surround despite the AVI I'm testing in particularly coming from the Microsoft website and definitely having 5.1.

put money on it being wmv, enable the play wmv within internal player option under the video player options.

Also in ffdshows audio config, you will see wma support is disabled, try enabling and see if that makes a difference.

aXeR

Portal Member
    February 26, 2009
    Home Country
    I've already played with the tick box for the WMV bit within MP to no sucess, I'll have a closer look at ffdshows later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom