No audio in live TV (1 Viewer)

Qriouz

December 7, 2005
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC1 (2005-09-01)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows MCE 2005 - SP2
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: AC3Filter
Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Memory: 2 GB
Motherboard: A8N-E (ASUSTeK Computer INC.)
TV Card Model: Hauppauge PVR500MCE (b)
TV Card Type: Hardware
TV Card Driver: Driver Release 2.0.35.23258.PreRelease (09/15/05)
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT (256 MB)
Video Card Driver: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP version 77.79, 08/02/2005
Video Card Resolution: 1360x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio
Audio Card Driver: Realtek Semiconductor Corp. AC'97 Sound System Software ver:A3.66
Synopsis::

No audio in TV. Works with music, movies and dvd. I've tried using nVidia's audio decoder and ac3 filter but I get no sound at all.

The TV sound works fine in MCE 2005

I am probably missing something obvious, just can't figure out what it is... Any ideas ?

links to logs.
http://www.monofon.dk/mp/MediaPortal.log

http://www.monofon.dk/mp/capture.log

20051210: Figured it out. Changed default device in AC3 filter to waveout. Now everything works...

20051218:
Above config won't give the best result. Read my latest reply in the thread...

Lars E.

Portal Member
March 28, 2005
Norway
Hi, I have the exact same problem. Audio works for everything except live TV.
Could you please enlighten me on how/where you changed default device in AC3 filter to waveout?

Thanks!

Qriouz

December 7, 2005
Lars E. said:
Hi, I have the exact same problem. Audio works for everything except live TV.
Could you please enlighten me on how/where you changed default device in AC3 filter to waveout?

Thanks!

Should be in the filter settings. If you haven't got it in your program files it should be in the control panel as well. You can change the default there.

Let me know if you need a screenshot or something. Shouldn't be hard to find though.

Cheers!

Lars E.

Portal Member
March 28, 2005
Norway
Strange maybe, but I'm not able to find "Filter Settings" anywhere.
Not in the control panel, not on the start menu and not in the "Program Files" folder.
Is this AC3 filter Windows native or is it installed with Mediaportal or ffdshow?

Lars E.

Portal Member
March 28, 2005
Norway
OK, found it.
It's in the internal Mediaportal settings menu:
Mediaportal->Settings->My TV->Audio Renderer
There I changed from "NVidia nForce Audio" to "Default WaveOut Device".

Marcusb, in the Mediaportal Setup application I do have a filters category.
It is not directly above plugins because I have Weather in between.
Anyway, inside the filters category it is nowhere I can change anything to waveout.
I am running CVS code so that's maybe why there's differences.

But, It does work now and thanks goes to Marcusb and Qriouz - your help was invaluable in patching this problem!

Qriouz

December 7, 2005
I was acually talking about the actual AC3 codec... Which you need to install separately. Also... Using waveout instead of direct sound ruins the idea of spdif, since you won't get more than stereo signal that way... As far as I understand.

There are 2 versions of the ac3 codec filter (which I've found) 0.70b (from sourceforge project) has a speaker config that is spdif. The other one (version 1. something) only lets you choose a speaker setup. I wanted the singal directly to my surround reciever, so that it decodes the signal and not the computer.... It works now with 0.70b of the codec. You do need to install it seperately and let MP know (in the filter settings) that it should use ac3 and spdif.

mps279

January 9, 2006
I was having the same problem originally (on RC1), I installed version 1.something of the AC3 codec, and selected that as the TV audio codec, with DirectSound as the output. That seemed to work for a while, but I must have changed something (I was playing with quite a bit, including trying to get the program to work on a different user account), and now it doesn't work. None of the settings I changed to get audio in the first place are different, and setting the AC3 output to DirectSound or Waveout doesn't make a difference. I tried reinstalling but that didn't seem to work either.

Is there anything else I could try? I'd really like to avoid deleting and reconfiguring the entire program, especially since that might not even fix it.

Lars E.

Portal Member
March 28, 2005
Norway
I am wondering what the difference between live TV and recorded TV might be as I were only missing audio in live TV...
If we knew that we could maybe know where to look for the problem.

Regards,
Lars

sandy007

January 21, 2006
I had the same problem with MCE 2005. No sound during live tv but the sound worked fine during playback of recorded programs and dvd's etc. I narrowed down the problem to AC3 filter. If you open AC3 filter config from the start menu and select the system tab. Then select "Prefer other decoder" under filter merit. I then restarted media center and the sound worked fine. Hope this works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom