No audio on a few movies (1 Viewer)

Firemogle

Portal Pro
August 14, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In the past several months I have swapped around hardware on both the HTPC and a new receiver (same brand) and when I went to play some movie files that had previously worked... they no long play audio. At first I thought it was an AAC issue but I found some that work so I don't know where the problem lies. I found the following line in the audio log and tried to fix it, but I don't know enough about what it means to do more than guess and check and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I will note that if I remote desktop into the HTPC the file plays with audio, so I do know it works.

27-07-2016 23:25:30.020 [ 100c] CWASAPIRenderFilter::Render thread - starting up - thread ID: 4108
27-07-2016 23:25:30.020 [ 1020] CTimeStretchFilter::timestretch thread - starting up - thread ID: 4128
27-07-2016 23:25:30.031 [ 100c] CWASAPIRenderFilter::Render thread Error, device not initialized
27-07-2016 23:25:30.031 [ 100c] CWASAPIRenderFilter::Render thread - closing down - thread ID: 4108
27-07-2016 23:25:30.050 [ 1494] CheckMediaType Not supported

Thanks for any help!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Firemogle :)

The latest MediaPortal log file shows you playing 5 videos (Ender's Game x 2, Inside Out, Archer S05E05, and Archer S05E07). However the MPAR logs which you've quoted only cover the last 2 of those. If I were to assume (which is all I can do, given the log file availability) that the first 3 videos played fine and compare/contrast the 5 videos, the obvious difference I would see is that the first 3 videos all have some variation of AAC audio whereas the 2 Archer episodes have AC-3/Dolby-Digital audio. If my assumption that the first 3 videos worked is correct, I'd guess the issue is probably related to your LAV audio codec configuration. For example, you may have enabled bit-streaming for AC-3/DD audio (...which wouldn't work with the MPAR).

Firemogle

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2010
    Home Country
    Sorry I guess I should have said which ones work; Ender's game is the one not working and the others work fine.

Thanks again!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ender's game is the one not working and the others work fine.
    In that case please can you supply fresh log files showing only Ender's Game so we get the MPAR log for that attempt. Please can you also use the Watchdog tool with option 1 or 2 to collect the log files so that we get debug-level log detail. Thanks. :)

[edit: ...and I meant to say, can we also have screenshots of your LAV audio codec settings.]

Firemogle

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2010
    Home Country
    OK got a clean one with just a movie that isn't working

Thanks for looking!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can you please also provide the screenshots of your LAV audio settings which I also asked for.

In the meantime...
    The thing that stands out to me in these log files is the Auto3D error:
    [collapse]
    [2016-08-03 09:46:18,470] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - FrameGrabber: Timed-out waiting for grabbed frame!
    [2016-08-03 09:46:19,288] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - Similarity: 0.262916666666667 - Fmt2D
    [2016-08-03 09:46:19,679] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
    at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)
    at MediaPortal.FrameGrabber.GetCurrentImage()
    [2016-08-03 09:46:20,005] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
    at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)
    [2016-08-03 09:46:20,323] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - Error in the application.
    -2147024882 (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.SurfaceLoader.SaveSurfaceToStreamInternal(ImageFileFormat destFormat, Surface srcSurface, PaletteEntry[]& sourcePalette, tagRECT* srcRectangle)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.SurfaceLoader.SaveToStream(ImageFileFormat destFormat, Surface srcSurface)
    [2016-08-03 09:46:20,362] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - Results(4) - Normal=5 - SBS3D=0 - TB3D=0
    [2016-08-03 09:46:20,626] [Log ] [Auto3D analyze thread] [DEBUG] - Error in the application.
    -2147024882 (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.SurfaceLoader.SaveSurfaceToStreamInternal(ImageFileFormat destFormat, Surface srcSurface, PaletteEntry[]& sourcePalette, tagRECT* srcRectangle)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.SurfaceLoader.SaveToStream(ImageFileFormat destFormat, Surface srcSurface)
    at MediaPortal.FrameGrabber.GetCurrentImage()[/collapse]

Out of memory errors don't sound good.

Is the behaviour consistent?
    I mean, if audio doesn't play for a given movie, does it always not play for that movie... and vice-versa?

It's very possible that MPAR has something to do with the issue. Have you tried using a DirectSound audio renderer instead of MPAR?

Firemogle

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2010
    Home Country
    The behavior is consistent on this machine hardware. If I remote into it remote audio works fine, if I try to play any of the files on another HTPC with mediaportal on it, they work there too. I have not tried other players on this computer

I tried it with direct sound and with just selecting the device and no audio for this file. Attached is a new log with the device selected as well as screen grabs of my lav settings.

Thanks again for your time
    --- Post updated ---
    Looking at your last comments I check directx and somehow, 9E is installed on the system although its windows 10. I am going to try to see if I can't update it to a modern version and report back.

Attachments

• Pictures.zip
      83.3 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, first problem identified. :)

The first picture (1.PNG) shows that you've enabled bit-streaming for 3 formats (DD/AC-3, DD+/E-AC3 and TrueHD). That's not going to work with the MPAR. If you want to use the MPAR then:
    • [requirement] disable bit-streaming, otherwise MPAR can't do it's job
    • [strongly recommended] untick "auto A/V sync correction", because that would be working against MPAR
    If I remote into it remote audio works fine, if I try to play any of the files on another HTPC with mediaportal on it, they work there too. I have not tried other players on this computer

I tried it with direct sound and with just selecting the device and no audio for this file.
    From this description, it sounds very much like something is muted or volume settings are set to zero. I recommend you do a sanity check on your MediaPortal, Windows and receiver mute and volume settings.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking at your last comments I check directx and somehow, 9E is installed on the system although its windows 10.
    That's correct and as it should be.

Firemogle

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2010
    Home Country
    I did some testing and system audio isn't working either, looking into that it seems intel has a driver issue on windows 10 that causes issues like this, so I guess I at least know to stop checking different boxes in the lav settings.

Ill dig on intel, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom