No EPG program data, no subtitles (1 Viewer)

GeeZer

August 18, 2021
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
First, I am using Windows 7, Media Portal 2.32. I use the program for Satellite and ATSC TV. I live in the US. ATSC TV channels scan and load. However, no program data for anything is displayed. I tried some of the tips in Media Server TV EPG grabber to no avail. I am looking for the correct log file but haven't found it yet. I also use WINTV 10 for tv with the same hauppuage card and the EPG is displayed in that program. It seems the program would just "grab" the data from the antenna stream, but it's not. Same for subtitles. Work in WINTV, but not in MediaPortal.

Thanks

Attachments

• epg.png
    epg.png
    77 KB
  • sub.png
    sub.png
    322.4 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ATSC TV channels scan and load. However, no program data for anything is displayed.
    I live in the UK, where our terrestrial TV broadcasts (using the DVB-T and DVB-T2 standards) include a 7-day EPG for all channels. But my understanding is that in the USA, terrestrial TV does not include this data, apart from perhaps the "on now" and "on next" programme info. If Win-TV is displaying a full EPG, I would suspect that it is downloading it from somewhere on the internet.

I believe that there are some free internet EPGs available to US viewers, of varying quality. But the usual recommendation is to pay for a subscription to "Schedules Direct", which is around $25 per year. Schedules Direct provide a high-quality EPG.

All internet EPGs have to be provided in a form that MP can understand, which essentially means in the form of an XML file. You then setup the XML importer in "TV Server Config" to import the file. The DVB EPG grabbers in "TV Server Config" should be disabled, as they are of no use to you. I have never used an internet EPG with MP, so I am vague on the details.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

GeeZer

August 18, 2021
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the super quick reply! WinTV must download the EPG, you're right. I thought it got sent in the data packets over the air. They don't charge anything for it, so I'm somewhat puzzled. As a matter of fact, I had Media Portal about 10 years or so ago..maybe longer as time flies. I know at the time, it was not free but you could download a demo/trial version. I do know that it had a real time guide.

Anyway..if it doesn't have one now, I can adjust..I use Titan TV..don't know if it's just in the US or not, but it gets the job done and it's stand alone and free. Still not sure about subtitles and they've got to be "real time". WinTV's plays fine as does Pot Player's. Do have more questions regarding 3rd party plugins, and these confusing Skins, but I'm not going to "high jack" my own thread. Thanks again for the prompt info!!! Spencer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom