No H264 closed captions (1 Viewer)

Aucherie

Portal Member
May 6, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
I am running MP 1.8 and cannot figure out how to get North American closed captions (CC) to display for live TV and recorded video. I have it working for MPEG 2 using Core CC Parser and believe it is possible to do the same for H264 live TV and video per this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/north-american-closed-captions.89487/page-22. Most of the info in this thread is over my head technically, but I gather that H264 CC capability was added to MP 1.10 and should now be available to me if I upgrade to the most current version of MP, 1.11. Is this correct?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's not included in MP 1.11 - hopefully it will make it into MP 1.12.

In the meantime, here is a version of MP 1.11 installer with the H.264 Closed Caption support added for testing - http://tinyurl.com/nsdwj6l
    (Note - please report back if you have problems with it)

Aucherie

Portal Member
    May 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks, Owlsroost, the linked version of the MP 1.11 installer gives me H.264 and MPEG 2 Closed Captions on both live TV and recorded video. About the only flaw I see is that the CC's lag behind the speech on live TV channels when the people talk rapidly and a lot. As I am new to the requirement for CC's, I am not sure whether this is a limitation in the creation of the CC's or your implementation for presenting them.

As a point of interest, did you put the H.264 code in the MPEG 2 Core CC Parser? I ask because as a precaution I implemented the Core Parser to ensure I got both H.264 and MPEG 2 CC's. If I don't need the Parser, for either or both, I will deactivate it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The new Core CC parser filter works for both MPEG2 and H.264 captions (it contains all of the old code as well as the new H.264 parsing code), so it's a replacement for the older Core CC filter. It still needs to be enabled in the TV post-processing section, otherwise MP won't use it.

As for caption timing - I don't know (I can't test it 'live' - I'm in the wrong part of the world :)). Maybe @xvffx or @fir3ma5t3r can advise ? (they have both tested the H.264 CC support)

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Aucherie
    about the lag in "live TV"... the only time I would experience a lag is during a "live" news broadcast which is CC being typed real time. if you are experience the lag in a movie or tv show then I would look at the video codec selected.
    I had issues with my video card and cc together which boils down to driver issues....I had to use a old nvidea driver 186.18 for my card. I don't know what is turned on in all the other drivers that caused the issue. (hope this not the case with you)

I use LAV codec with my setup in videos/TV
    Microsoft codec for DVD movies (it shows the same type of CC... white text and black bar) if you use LAV.... it would look like Subtittles. white text no black bar.

Vff

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,
    just installed this test version and watched closely with the CC and spoken words if they are in sync or not. I think Aucherie is correct with the CC delayed by a sentence or 2. I noticed it in a cooking show however not in a DIY show..... both had fast speaking action and other movies was also fine and sync with cc.

now I wished I had watched for it in a version 1.10 with the modified core.dll. I don't recall seeing a bad delay but who knows.... the provider may be messed up on a specific shows with the CC this week?

I may go back and test it version 1.10

Vff

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    There have been no functional changes to CCCP.ax since the first version was released (v3.0.0.1 on 20th February). The relevant code in MP 1.11 is the same as in the modified 1.10 version.

The H.264 captions probably have a greater chance of being delayed because they need a larger (than for MPEG2) re-ordering buffer (it's 18 frames long - about 0.25 - 0.5 seconds depending on FPS), but that also depends on what happens downstream which CCCP.ax can't control. In an ideal world this stuff would be integrated into the video decoder so the timing could be controlled properly, but that isn't likely to happen....

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,
    I was able to locate only 1 channel with the delay (about 2 sentences behind) and it was always the same with other shows on the same channel Cook.
    the others are find and in sync which I've tested of about 20 channels, all in H264 which leads me to believe it is a fault with the provider of that channel. it may be days or weeks before they figure it out.

Vff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom