No "Latest" episodes listed, no thumbnails (1 Viewer)

scythelt

Portal Pro
December 19, 2006
Home Country
I've been having an issue for a while where no new episodes (after the very first import) have episode thumbnails. I've been tearing my hair out trying to track down exactly why.

Last night I discovered that my "Latest" episodes view has no eps listed - where there should be plenty listed - and that any new eps have their title downloaded, but no description/thumbnail/airdate/director metadata is downloaded.

It seems as though the plugin isn't detecting what "new" episodes are and so doesn't go out and get information from thetvdb.com for them. Could this be a date/timestamp thing?

Is anybody else experiencing a similar problem? I think I can recall this probably started happening in an SVN around late December.

Would upgrading to the latest SVN (with the new API) likely fix this problem? (I'm a bit reluctant to try the new SVN just yet with all the API work going on)

Target32

Portal Member
February 1, 2008
Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
I am experiencing the same thing. I think it started when changed to SVN 17685. I cannot connect to any servers for banners or info. Aso, under Import Settings> Online Data Synch the languages dropdown menu is empty. I seem to remember that being full before, idk, maybe that has something to do with it.

Point is that I can not get any data or banners on any shows, it came back with no matches fot The Simpsons. I'll try restoring MP to the 2.3 release to see if that makes a difference.

I got the same result when I restored to a previous version. I get cannot connect to.... The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. I've read there have been some server issues, so I've assumed that this has been the issue for everyone. Am I correct in this assumption?

jesseblue

Portal Pro
June 8, 2007
Same problem here. I think it happened after I had installed the MediaPortal SVN 17967 from 03-15-2008. Now I don't get the episode information. I get following error message (e.g.):

19.03.2008 10:12:19 - Found 113 Episodes for "Family Guy", matching them up with local Episodes now
19.03.2008 10:12:19 - None of these episodes could be identified (Possible reasons: Wrong filename/OnlineDatabase does not have these episodes)

and then an lots of error messages because the download of the several EpisodeImage fails.

Concerning the episode title: in my case the title of the episodes that aren't found are NOT downloaded. What happens is that the plugin parses the title of the episode from the actual filename of the video-files on my harddisk and writes it down in small letters.

E.g.

Family Guy - 4x03 - Blind Ambition.avi (filename on harddisk) ---> blind ambition (name that MP Shows)

Has anyone figured out what this is caused by yet?

scythelt

Portal Pro
December 19, 2006
Home Country
Hurray!

I finally found a solution to my three month long problem! For anybody else experiencing similar issues that seem to randomly appear, read on...

I turned "debug level" logging on in the MP-TVSeries configuration screens and then clicked Import and scanned through the (huge) log file. Towards the end I found an error after one of the calles to thetvdb interface "failed Invalid Syntax for a decimal numeric entity reference."

So I plugged the same URL call to thetvdb interface into firefox and sure enough got a malformed xml response. Turns out it was an "e" acute character for the word "resume" in the episode description for a Melrose Place episode (Melrose Place: Pushing Boundaries) that was causing the XML parser to fail.

I updated the episode description on thetvdb.com and BAM! Reload the URL in firefox and we get a valid XML packet, then run another import in MP-TVSeries and we have updated episodes - including thumbnails!!!!

So lesson learned - check the DEBUG log files. And don't watch Melrose Place ;)

Hope this tale of woe (and success) helps somebody in the future.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Hmm, you should mention this to scott on their forums if indeed the interface returns malformed result (assuming we are talking about the new api at all?)

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    This is using the old API, but could just as easily being returning the same malformed XML via the new API.

The cause was a
    Code:
    é
    character contained within the episode description body text - I've removed it for now. Should the description for the episode ever be copied from TV.com: TV News - TV Shows - TV Listings - Entertainment News again, the problem will reoccur.

I'll post on thetvdb forums and see if anything can happen from their end.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    If its the old api it doesnt matter since it will dissapear soon anyways.

jesseblue

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Solved most of the errors by deleting and reinstalling the complete series information. Still there are some series that are not updated right. Don't really know why.

Target32

Portal Member
    February 1, 2008
    Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've had a bit of a change. Now instead of getting a 404 (not found) error I get "Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determind". I don't know what that means, hopefully it means I'm closer to being able to update my database :)

Nevermind, my bad. What exactly ought to be in the Main Mirror field under Online Data Synch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom