No OTA EPG with ATSC? (1 Viewer)

bmn001

May 21, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi guys/gals.

I just installed MediaPortal and I see there are a few different ways to get guide data loaded into the app.

My preferred method is to cut the Internet out of the equation entirely and just have mediaportal grab whatever data is embedded in the broadcast stream.

However no matter how I tune the MediaPortal settings the EPG remains unpopulated.

I know that this data is being transmitted in my market (Los Angeles, 110 channels found with an antenna scan), as other apps are able to receive and display it (Hauppauge's WinTV, for example).

After searching this forum it sounds like MP may only be able to grab this over-the-air data from European DVB streams, and not American ATSC streams. Is this the case? Or am I just doing something wrong?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Nobody else responded. I'm another US ATSC user and have not seen any support for OTA ATSC EPG. For EPG I use Internet based xmltv with mc2xml. I've also used WebEPG to grab data from imdb.com. Both options provide about 14 days of EPG info and I think the internet is your only EPG option. Internet based Schedules Direct is another option.

I was curious about the OTA/EPG so I tried the viewer/epg SW for my Fusion HDTV tuner. This shows 1/2 to maybe 2 days of EPG info until I went to a channel that crashed the EPG SW. This is the 1st time I've tried this Fusion SW in a few years. I also fired up my old Samsung T451 HDTV standalone tuner that grabs OTA/EPG it only shows 1/2 to 1 day of EPG info. How many days of EPG do you get with the Hauppauge SW?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Updated comment on the ATSC OTA EPG question a few months ago. MePo does not have native integrated support for ATSC EPG. If you download and setup EPG Collector, configure XMLTV, and use windows task manager, you can grab the OTA EPG info from your local TV channel. This will give you same EPG data you get when you press the "info button" on your TV remote. For most of my SF Bay area stations the EPG has data for about 12 hours, a few stations have 1-2 days of EPG. I posted the following message in the EPG Collector thread with a bit more info and the setup steps I used for my test drive.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-opentv-mediahighway.86434/page-2#post-883824

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom