[Music] No playback for .kar files (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    As per the changelog 0002272 *.kar files are supported in this version.

When attempting to play .kar files, I am getting the following error message:
    Unable to play: filename.kar
    Audio codec:

I do not have problems playing .mid files. SF2 file is installed.

After this is fixed, I would also ask the developer to check for compatibility with "Karaoke for DirectX" filter. The filter can be downloaded from here: SourceForge.net: Karaoke for DirectX: Files.

TV-Server Version: 1.1 Alpha
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1 Alpha
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide 1.0.1.0
    Windows Version: Windows XP Professional
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 1.87GHz
    HDD: WDC SATA-2 80GB; Samsung SATA2, 750GB
    Memory: 4GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Intel DP35DP
    Video Card: ASUS GeForce 9600GT Silent 650MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV
    Video Card Driver: 186.18
    Sound Card: IDT High Definition
    Sound Card AC3: Optical out
    Sound Card Driver: 5.10.5790.3
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800, PCIe
    1. TV Card Type: analog, ATSC
    1. TV Card Driver: 1.34.27050.0
    2. TV Card: Twinhan AD-SE200 (1028), PCIe
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    2. TV Card Driver: 1.0.4.6
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC
    h.264 Video Codec: MPC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: FTA/Shaw Cable/OTA
    HTPC Case: Custom
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Universal, URC 200
    TV: JVC AV-34WP84 (wide screen CRT, 1080i)
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI or Component Video

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Not seeing any attempt to play a .kar file in your log, only errors there it's whit minidisplay.
    Tested a .kar file here & it worked with BASS set as player.

Regards
    Roy

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    .kar files play perfec here, provided that you have aded the extension to Music.
    Be careful: You have .kar stillas an extension for Video. remove it there.

in the logs tha you have attached thre is no ndication that you tried playback of a kar file.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    This must be it. I removed .kar from Video and was able to play .kar files (audio only, of course, as announced).

With the .kar in video only and Karaoke for DirectX filter installed I can see the video text generated by this filter, but no audio.
    It is so tempting to ask: why "audio or video" and no "video and audio"? Maybe it would be possible to enable BASS engine as a posprocessing for video to add midi audio? That would add karaoke functionality and resolve the problem.

Did you try the Karaoke for DirectX filter? It is really cool!! It also supports .cdg and .lrc formats. It would be so wonderful if people could use it in MP!

So, NO BUG here, looks like more of a feature request now. I am very sorry about false bug report!

hwahrmann: could you comment on if this is possible at all? I don't want to go back to Microsoft Media Center :-(

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    well for me the directx filter doesn't work at all. i onlyget the messag that the file couldn't be played.
    which version of the filter have you installed?

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    hwahrmann:

I use 2.2 from sourceforge.net/projects/karaoke-dx/files/. This version is free and very stable. You can also find the source code there. I had problems with the latest 3.0 beta. Further developement of this product is shareware Troubadour Karaoke Lite Home 1.1.150.

Are you able to play .kar files in Windows Media Player? This would be a good start.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've just installed the Karaoke Directx 2.2 filter. The 2.2 and OT the 2.2d, which is also available.
    Added .kar and .cdg as Movie extensions and the play very well.
    i have picture and sound.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Excellent news, hwahrmann!

That was a wierd problem. I reinstalled the filter and everything appears to be fine now.

You can also add .lrc, the filter supports this as well.

Thanks a lot!

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Interesting, what's the difference between 2.2 and 2.2d, and what's wrong with 2.3 and 3.0b? unstable? does it support compressed mp3+cdg?

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Karaoke for DirectX is an abandoned (unfortunately) project at the moment, the latest free version is 3.0beta3, but stay away from it as it is unstable. I did not find any difference between 2.2 and 2.3. The beauty of 2.3 is it is free and very stable. Based on this code there is product called Troubadour Karaoke, was developed as a commercial program, but you can't really buy it (the on-line store is closed). Troubadour Karaoke allows you "to rip .cdg" (whatever it means)

With version 2.2/2.3 you can play all three major karaoke formats: .kar, .cdg+.mp3 and .lrt+.mp3. What you need to do is install the Karaoke for DirectX filter, identify .kar, .cdg as video files in MP, download and copy the font files for MIDI format in BASS (you can find the instruction here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/listen-music-99/support-mid-kar-files-66518/) and maybe tweak the filter frame layout in Karaoke for DirectX setup program. Since I use 1080p screen, I selected width 1920 and height 1080, lyrics Left:2%; Top:30%; Lines:7; Width:98%; Height:50%; Read Line: 3; Ribbon: left and top: 5%; Windth: 90%; Height: 2%. Font: Tahoma Bold Italic size 48. Renders perfect quality text.

.kar format is same as .mid plus imbedded text. .cdg is special text file for .mp3 and .lrc is simplified version of .cdg. The beauty of .kar files - they are very small, but .cdg are better quality and preferred by professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom