No signal detection system (1 Viewer)

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
I didnt know where this belongs so i hope i put it in the right place

I know that when media poral gets zero frames pre second it belives it has lost the signal

Im currently trying to watch lost here , and every time it cuts to black media portal thinks theres no signal.

This needs to be changed obviously

So would it be posible to make the no signal thing kick in after 5 seconds rather than what what it is just now so that if it is just a cut to black media poral wont bring up the no signal message.

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is an interesting theory.

There are a couple of large threads on this damned No Signal issue and also a Mantis bug report. I'd like nothing better than to see this resolved because it seems to wreak major havoc on ATSC users.

Here's a link to the Mantis Bug, in case you want to monitor it>

http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=697

bikergeek

May 3, 2006
    UK, London
    The signal "loss" does seem to be related, at least for me, to black frames. It was particularly noticeable with Lost, on Channel4 yesterday, both during and just before and after ad breaks. ohdarklord is this the channel that you were watching? The only way I could regain the picture was to change channels, the sound continued on fine... It was so frequent that I gave up and switch back to viewing it on analogue.

Interestingly, the later episode on E4 had no signal loss issues at all. One noticable difference between the two channels is that Channel 4 has no watermark/logo whereas E4 does. Other programs that I've noticed signal loss with are Invasion and Derren Brown, both of which tend to have black frames and both of which were on Channel 4, hence had no watermark.

I'll try testing the theory when the same episodes are next shown on E4 and Channel 4.

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2005
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    bikergeek said:
    The signal "loss" does seem to be related, at least for me, to black frames. It was particularly noticeable with Lost, on Channel4 yesterday, both during and just before and after ad breaks. ohdarklord is this the channel that you were watching? The only way I could regain the picture was to change channels, the sound continued on fine... It was so frequent that I gave up and switch back to viewing it on analogue.

Interestingly, the later episode on E4 had no signal loss issues at all. One noticable difference between the two channels is that Channel 4 has no watermark/logo whereas E4 does. Other programs that I've noticed signal loss with are Invasion and Derren Brown, both of which tend to have black frames and both of which were on Channel 4, hence had no watermark.

I'll try testing the theory when the same episodes are next shown on E4 and Channel 4.

bikergeek

Yeah i was watching it on channel 4 i gave up after about 15 minutes watched the matrix on itv and decided to download ep1 and 2.

I had the same theory about the watermark as ive been watching lost on series one e4 for the past few weeks with no problems but the loast adverts cause havok every time thay were on channel 4.

Another program that is bad is King of the hill has it cuts to black just before the credits.

Commodore 64

This is different than that perticulare problem as it happens completly at random.

I used to have this bug but it seems to have gone away now.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I also get this behavious when watching some channels when they go to commercials or when the movie credits are shown after a movie, quite annoying. :(

Happens daily on a swedish channel called TV4+.

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    guys its an interesting theory but theres one thing missing from your posts!

Specs? Logs? come on you know the routine get the info on here and lets have a proper look.. it certainly something i want to persue looking at!

Thanks

Steve

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi 5teve,

It seems to be an issue that affects every one with Digital cards regardless of specs.

Basically any black screen that is transmitted causes the no signal message after a second or so.

I'm in Australia and have the same issue with the bank screens. I ahve tried all different Codecs with no success.

Also, after all the work you do, should you be listed as a dev by now?

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    I've also seen this on certian programmes, but have you guys been recording the programme as well?

I tend to record everything even if I'm watching it live, that way I don't miss any shows if I'm out. But doing this I've noticed that although you get no signal watching live TV, if you wait till the programme has finished and skip through the recording there is no loss of signal whatsoever!!

So I think this is very positive, as to me the recording engine should be rock solid, which it is, however it does suggest that MP is miss-reporting an error!

See if you guys get the same problem, or watch the programme 5 minutes behind on TS.

vbgeezer

Portal Pro
    December 18, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Me too

I record all programs and get no signal also. I don't think it is blank screen as all my channels have a DOG (digital onscreen graphic)

I use pvr-350
    fx5200
    winxp/sp2
    0.2 rc4

I can also add that If I do ctrl+alt+del then go to task manager, usually the sound comes back on and if I wait a second or so MP come back to focus but tv is now off. I cab switch tv back on and skip back to where I got to and then carry on. So it seems to be an issue in the way MP reports the problem that isn't really there.

Also, I have run the exact same setup since 1.2 and it started only a while bacl 0.2 rc3 + a cvs I think. I have considered trying to roll back but think it best to always push forward. Hey that's part of the deal in helping to get MP stable isn't it?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Re: Me too

vbgeezer said:
    I record all programs and get no signal also. I don't think it is blank screen as all my channels have a DOG (digital onscreen graphic)

I don't think it's so much a black screen, as a stationary screen, which is also what you get with DTV when you lose signal.

From all the posts on this subject, it seems pretty certain that there are a couple of issues that trigger this fault. Stationary images on screen, channel changes and general mis-detection of low signal strenght when it is actually strong.

Also, when I have tried timeshift, I also get this problem. Even when watching a few minutes behind. When the message pops up, I can keep watching after I press OK, up until the time that I catch up to where the message appeared in real time. Then the picture stops.

I get this on my downsairs HTPC with dual Compro t300s and also upstairs with my DVico lite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom