No Sound after installing MediaPortal 2 (1 Viewer)

Mark Miller

March 21, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just installed MediaPortal 2 as Client & Server on same Windows 7 64-bit machine that currently runs Windows Media Center.
I have a HD HomeRun Prime with 3-tuners and CableCard using Comcast service.
The Samsung TV is receiving video and audio signal from the HTPC via HDMI cable.
Sound is sent to my Pioneer amp through digital sound cable from the TV backpanel.
Windows 7 shows my sound device as "Digital Audio (HDMI)".

I've been running this setup for 3 years using WMC and it has worked very well for us. I am now looking to switch to MP because of Microsoft's decision to discontinue WMC in Windows 10, which I will eventually upgrade to.

So, I now have MP2 installed, server is running, channels are configured, all channels are scanned on all three tuners.

With WMC not running, all tuners are available, I can open MP2, select and view a TV channel without trouble, except there is NO SOUND.

When I am navigating around the MP2 Client, selecting various menu options, I DO hear the normal beeps and tones associated with the UI, there is only no sound when viewing live TV or recorded video. The TV picture and video looks fine, just NO SOUND.

In MP2, I go to Settings->Players->Audio Player->Configure output device. In this menu I have tried the following combinations:
1. Direct Sound -> Digital Audio (HDMI).
2. WASAPI -> Exclusive Mode Checked -> Digital Audio (HDMI)
3. WASAPI -> Exclusive Mode UnChecked -> Digital Audio (HDMI)
4. WASAPI -> Exclusive Mode Unchecked-> Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
5. WASAPI -> Exclusive Mode Checked-> Digital Audio (S/PDIF)​
Also, I have been to Settings->Players->Codecs->Audio Codecs and I have the following installed:
1. MPEG1/2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder
2. LATM-AAC Audio Codec: Nothing installed, I just see "Set the LATM-AAC audio codec"
3. AAC Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder​
I have also been to Settings->Players->Codecs->Audio Renderer and have tried the following settings here:
1. Default DirectSound Device
2. Digital Audio (HDMI)
3. DirectSound: Digital Audio (HDMI)
I've tried pressing the "M" key on the keyboard because I read in another thread that the "M" key could be muting the sound - no joy.

After trying every possible combination of the settings outlined above, I still have no sound coming out of either the TV or my Pioneer sound system.

I should also mention that after closing MP2 and then launching WMC, the sound works correctly, as it always has using WMC.

What do you suggest?

My logs are attached.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mark Miller

March 21, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Update: After spending a couple hours reading many forum posts, I uninstalled MP2, deleted the folder in C:\ProgramData, then downloaded the latest snapshot(2016-02-07), but couldn't install it, because the download apparently contains a virus, so I downloaded the 2016-01-16 snapshot and installed it w/o issue.
I setup the HD HomeRun Prime tuners, all channels recognized. I used the preview feature in TV Setup and could view TV channels - but NO SOUND.
I found under the General tab of TV Setup a list of audio and video encoders, all of which are listed as NOT installed, but maybe this is correct?
I also used the option to disable windows media center services in the 3rd party checks portion of TV Setup.
After closing TV Setup with the "OK" button, I rebooted the machine.

After the reboot, In MP2 Client, TV viewing is choppy, and there is NO SOUND. I configured the sound as before (see earlier post in this thread) to no avail.
I could not get sound to work for TV or recorded videos I have on the system.

I have completely uninstalled MP2 (again), and am thinking of trying MP1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom