no sound on multi stream audio TVchannels (1 Viewer)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I have a problem with some tv channels. Some don't have any sound. I noticed these channels are all multi stream audio channels.

What could be the problem when there is no sound on a multi stream audio channel? Do I need a special codec for this?
Or is Haali Media Splitter essential on your system if you want to watch and listen to multi stream audio TVchannels?
Or do I need something else to hear the sound on multi stream audio TVchannels?

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello kkendall,

as you already assumed I would recommend you to try Haali Media Splitter and / or other codecs than the one you are using right now.

-level20peon

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hi level20peon,

Thanks for the suggestion but i'm still confused. Where do I have to point to this Haali Media Splitter? Is it a codec, like the MPA codec? Do I have to point to the Haali Media Splitter as audio codec instead of MPA codec? If not, how can I make sure the Haali Media Splitter is used for these channels?
    Do I understand it correctly that the people who are saying that only ffdshow is needed for all media to play are wrong in this case, because you need the extra Haali Media Splitter codec to hear these channels?
    Again, thanks for your comments and support and I'm sorry for the double post (sometimes on this forum it is not clear what the right spot is to ask a certain question :)

I havent had this problem before with XP and MP 0.2.2 (but then again, I don't know what codecs and other shit was installed previously) I've made a clean system install to Vista on my new (top of the line :) ) htpc and installed 0.2.3 RC1 and ffdshow.

By the way, when you say Haali media splitter, do you mean the Haali Matroska Splitter? Because thats the only option I can download from the original haali site... :s

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the suggestion but i'm still confused. Where do I have to point to this Haali Media Splitter? Is it a codec, like the MPA codec? Do I have to point to the Haali Media Splitter as audio codec instead of MPA codec? If not, how can I make sure the Haali Media Splitter is used for these channels?

Just download and install it. Make sure that you select all the file formats during the installation. You don't have to select it as a codec since everything after the installation is done "in the background" so it doesn't depend on what codec you select in the MediaPortal configuration.

Do I understand it correctly that the people who are saying that only ffdshow is needed for all media to play are wrong in this case, because you need the extra Haali Media Splitter codec to hear these channels?

The Haali Media Splitter doesn't do any decoding. Maybe you should read some WikiPedia articles to get the clue :).

By the way, when you say Haali media splitter, do you mean the Haali Matroska Splitter? Because thats the only option I can download from the original haali site... :s

It is hard to explain if you don't have any idea of the background story but they are both the same.

-level20peon

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks man, for the push in the right direction, I'm starting to understand this whole splitter thing :)
    I already looked at this Wikipedia page, but my German wasn't that good to understand it completely. And english documentation isn't available on Wikipedia and is hard to find on the rest of the web.

But I've looked into it and it is now clearer to me. The thing I still haven't figured out is what splitter is being used right now and where can I see and/or change it (ea. because I want to try/use an other splitter)?

I will install it as soon as I come home...I hope it works! :)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I already looked at this Wikipedia page, but my German wasn't that good to understand it completely. And english documentation isn't available on Wikipedia and is hard to find on the rest of the web.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to link to the german Wikipedia. I just read so much in english that I don't realize whether I'm in the german or english part anymore.

But I've looked into it and it is now clearer to me. The thing I still haven't figured out is what splitter is being used right now and where can I see and/or change it (ea. because I want to try/use an other splitter)?

Most likely no splitter is used right now. This is why you hear nothing because your current codec cannot handle the streams in this format. If the Media Splitter doesn't work as it should after installation you should switch to antother codec just for testing purposes (leave the Media Splitter installed though, as I said it is codec independent).

-level20peon

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So there is no way to check what splitter is being used? Damn, thats weird... Can't Graphedit do the trick (haven't tried it yet)?

So what hapens when I ALSO install the 3ivx MPEG-4 5.0 Media Splitter (for MP4, M4A, 3GP and MOV)? This is also a directshow splitter, also for MP4... Could this give conflicts or doesn't it matter how many splitters you have installed and how many of these splitters can do the same formats?
    I mean, once the stream is split up in all the audio/video channels, it is split up, thats it. No more splitting up can be done by passing through other splitters installed. And because splitters don't effect quality or anything (they just split) more than one splitter installed for the same job doesn't affect anything. Am I on the right track here? :)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well first of all installing as much codecs / splitters as there are available will cause problems, definitively. However only one of them will be used simultaneously. There are in fact other codecs / splitters available as you already found out but I cannot tell you anything about them since I know that the Haali splitter works. It also works for MPEG-4 as well as for any other format so I don't see a reason to install multiple splitters. By the way the Haali splitter as well as ffdshow show systray icons when they are active.

-level20peon

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    When 2 codecs for the same job are active, the second codec will decode a decoded stream, again, which causes problems, I know. But if this is the case for splitters, I don't know...
    But if you are sure only one splitter is used at a time, even with multiple splitters for the same job installed, than that's no problem.
    And offcourse I'm not looking for multiple splitters to install, I just want to know what splitter is used right now, if thats possible.

I also looked at Graphedit screenshots, but it turns out Graphedit does show what splitter is used! Yeah! :) So it IS possible to show what splitter is being used! :)

EDIT:
    Damn! Just came home, installed the latest Purevideo, installed GraphEdit, installed Haali media splitter, but....no effect! :( The channels with no audio, still have no audio...

But here is the weird part:
    - When I record the Historychannel, which has no sound in MP it does have sound in Windows Media Player(WMP)!
    - But when I record Discovery Science which also has no sound in MP, it's unplayable in WMP! It says "Cannot render file". !
    - Also when I record Nederland 1, which does have sound in MP, it's unplayable in WMP! It says "Cannot render file".
    - If I record Nederland E, which also has sound in MP, it plays normal in WMP!

4 different results! How the F* is all of this possible, it's driving me mad!? And that's just WMP...Media Player Classic cannot play a single MP-recording!
    - The files which do not play in WMP also give the "Cannot render file" error.
    - The files that do play in WMP just show the first frame with the playbutton pressed but without progress... :s

EDIT2:
    Now that I have pointed MP to use PureVideo for audio and video instead of the MediaPortalAudioDecoder and MediaPortalVideoDecoder every channel has audio! :D Apparantly the bugs are in the MediaPortal audio and video codecs! (this is really a bad thing for MP imho...the dev team should have a look at this)

Yoohoo! Time to buy myself a beer to celebrate this! :p

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hmmm, maybe not as good as I thougt...I now have flickering at random when I watch SD-DTV...movies have no problem with this.
    Also I have problems with h264 .ts playback but before I doublepost, thats in another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom