No sound when TV is in standby (1 Viewer)

royverkuylen

Portal Member
December 20, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: 7 X64
CPU Type: AMD Athlon II X2 250E
HDD: Intel Postville X25-M SSDSA2MH080G2K5 80GB
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G
Motherboard: Asrock 880GMH/USB3
Video Card: Asus EAH5550 SILENT/G/DI/1GD2
Video Card Driver: AMD Catalyst 10.12
Sound Card: GPU
Codecs: Win 7 Codecs
Splitter: Haali Splitter
Media Storage: NAS
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black
Cooling: Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
Power Supply: Nexus Value 430
Remote: Logitech Harmony One
TV: Pioneer Kuro LX5090H
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR608
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi Guys,

I installed Mediaportal on my HTPC. It's playing pretty much everything I throw at it with the Windows 7 codecs. Awesome!

I use the standard music player that comes along with Mediaportal. When I listen to my music albums I prefer to put my TV in standby mode to save power and prevent possible screen burn-ins. However, what happens is that Mediaportal will stop playing my music. When I switch the TV back on, it fails to play the remaining tracks.

My HTPC is connected via HDMI to my receiver, which again is connected to my TV. In theory the TV shouldn't need to be powered on. I never had this issue when I used my HDX1000.

How come I can't just power off my TV when playing music albums? I tried to enable the PureAudio plugin but this didn't solve it, unless I am doing something wrong to enable it properly lol.

Could someone shed some light on this issue please? :D

Roy

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The problem is to do with the HDMI handshake and your graphics card.

Normally does windows say it is connected to your tv or your amp? Are you able to remote desktop or vnc in when the tv is off and see what windows thinks it is connected to?

royverkuylen

Portal Member
    December 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Windows says that it's connected to the receiver.

I will have to run a test for the remote desktop. I guess an application like teamviewer (desktop takeover) works the same?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Does this happen if you play music in another player then put tv into standby.

If so it is the hardware that is loosing connection; if using win7 or vista you can search Google for EDID override which may or may not help

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: No sound when TV is in standby

I have the problem too. And i noticed with Teamviewer that the screen resolution changed to another and then back to the right. This crashed Mediaportal or stopped the Music Playing or Tv-Playing. I think the Problem is the Reciever noticed that the TV is off and the Reciever will lost the connection to the PC ( maybe for one second). This is the problem, that Mediaportal is crashing or will stop the playing.

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: No sound when TV is in standby

No this don't help, because when the Receiver ist off, the Pc think there is no Monitor connected. And I can't override the EDID (because there is noc Monitor detectet). And when I switch the TV off, the connection to the Reveiver is lost for a few seconds too. The Pc think the Monitor is not connected and switch the Resolution to 60 hz. This let Mediaportal crashing.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: No sound when TV is in standby

No this don't help, because when the Receiver ist off, the Pc think there is no Monitor connected. And I can't override the EDID (because there is noc Monitor detectet). And when I switch the TV off, the connection to the Reveiver is lost for a few seconds too. The Pc think the Monitor is not connected and switch the Resolution to 60 hz. This let Mediaportal crashing.
    Not sure why your receiver is off? Surely the receiver needs to be on to output sound? The EDID override is meant to be for the receiver not the monitor so that the PC thinks it is connected to the receiver even when the monitor is on.

If you can't do this then one option (not cheap) is Gefen, LLC - HDMI Detective Plus
    I am using XP so can't use the EDID override but this little box is brilliant. Now the HTPC always thinks it is connected to the amp even if the amp is turned off.

sgatke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Which receiver are you using?
    I had a similar issue with an ATI card connected using HDMi to my Denon receiver, and from there to the tv set.
    When I turned off the tv, MediaPortal would stop playing the music.
    For me, it helped to stop and disable some "ATI Helper Service" (I don't remember the exact name of the service), but it was definitely a handshake problem causing the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom