no TV output in windows (1 Viewer)

gman

September 17, 2005
Hi,

am sure this has been discussed before but i could not find anything with the search.

I am running a Geforce MX2 using Svid out to the TV. It is my intention to use media portal to make a media center. But i have come across a hitch.

plug it all in (no monitor conected only the TV) and boot it up. I see the post screen and the windows splash screen but then as soon as it goes into windows the screen just changes to a flickring black screen. It is running the latest drives off the nvidia website. The TV works fine if i use the drivers that came with windows but then i have no control over the res.

Any ideas.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    There is an option in the drivers to select force tv detection so it should boot as the tv as primary (even if it doesnt you can change it after it boots).

You might have some problems with that video card though as its a DX7 card. Problem with that is the cpu will take the extra slack created by the card and youll probably be seeing close to 100% cpu usage (depending on the cpu of couse) when MP is idle.

gman

September 17, 2005
    The thing is that when i installed windows it worked fine. but as soon as i install an nvidia driver it stops working. only reso i installed the driver was so that i can get a widescreen res for the tv so it does not have to stretch teh pic so much.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It sounds to me you've set a resolution in the NVIDIA drivers that your TV cannot display. Try booting Windows in Safe Mode (F8 after POST), reinstall the drivers and set it up again. That's all I can think of, hope it helps!

gman

September 17, 2005
    yeah that is what i thought. but i have tried every resolution that the card offers.

What sort of res can tv's display. this is a 28in wide screen bush tv. I am at a bit of a loss really.

i have read about ppl having the same problem but i cant find an ans.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    If its a CRT Widescreen tv then either 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC), depending on the format, is best. If its Plasma, or LCD then it should say in the specs what resolution to use.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Callifo said:
    If its a CRT Widescreen tv then either 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC), depending on the format, is best. If its Plasma, or LCD then it should say in the specs what resolution to use.

720x576 is usually recommended for 4:3 PAL TVs although it's not really a 4:3 resolution, it's 5:4. For widescreen PAL, try 1024x576@50Hz, that's 16:9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom