No Volumecontrol without Windows 8 ModernUI? (1 Viewer)

Ian

Portal Pro
April 23, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Folks,
I discoverd an interessting behavior regarding Windows 8 and a Hauppauge Remote Control.

Setting:
Windows 8 Pro
MediaPortal 1.3.0RC Stand-alone Installation
Modification: I don't start ModernUI/Explorer at startup.
I edited the gpedit.msc and configured a "userdefined userinterface" to start directly into MediaPortal.
It all works well, except that i can't change the volume via Remote.
No matter what audio settings I use.
Then i discoverd that it works, if the explorer is started.
e.g. I start the MediaPortal, open the Task Manage via Crtl-Alt-Del choose "Start new task" and enter "explorer.exe", return to MediaPortal - and... tada... it works like a charm.

Is this a bug? A feature? An UTS-Error (User Too Stupid)?
I've spend some time trying to discover what service or program is started when I start the explorer/ModernUI but I can't find it. Well - at least not the service that is responsible for the volume control.

Has anyone observed a similar effect?
Solution?

Hartz

Portal Member
August 17, 2010
Brisbane
Home Country
Hi Ian,

I am noticing the exact behaviour as you have described. Did you ever find a solution?

It looks like explorer.exe has some core function built in for audio control.

Ian

Portal Pro
April 23, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Uhm... no. I didn't find a software based answer to this problem as the explorer seems to control the volume - or at least is a very important part of it.
I thought about starting the explorer after a minute in the background but finally I decided to spend some money on a Logitech Harmony remote and now I change the volume via remote on my reciever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom