Noob guide for dts music playback (1 Viewer)

clud

Portal Member
February 11, 2007
Hi

Ive fumbled around trying to play dts music files with Mediaportal but Im unable to get anything else than noise.

Ive installed pureaudio plugin, and asio4all but with the same noise result.

Does anyone have a link for clear understandable guide on how to make this work?

thx in advance ;)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Ive fumbled around trying to play dts music files with Mediaportal but Im unable to get anything else than noise.

Ive installed pureaudio plugin, and asio4all but with the same noise result.

Does anyone have a link for clear understandable guide on how to make this work?

thx in advance ;)

Is the DTS stored in WAV files or dts ?

If they are in WAV files you may have an issue as your amp will only recognise it as a DTS stream unless the output is bit perfect. (even with ASIO I think you will need to make sure the output samplerate is the same as the source, which will most likely be 44.1Khz for DTS and turn off any processing stuff you sound card might be doing)

If they are dts files then you just need to install AC3File and change the player from BASS to directshow.

clud

Portal Member
    February 11, 2007
    They are wav files

Dont think my soundcard is doing anything processing stuff ( btw its a alc888 chip on a abit anm2 hd MB ) but im not sure, how do I check that?
    From what ive read, correct me if im wrong, its a matter of sending the signal more or less untampered to the amp so it will recognize it properly right?

I have my amp ( logitech z5500 ) recognizing dts soundtracks from mkv's and dvd's with ffdshow. Here its just a matter of a few checkmarks and I have dts and dolby digital sound on my amp, dont understand why its so difficult with music... :(

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    They are wav files

Dont think my soundcard is doing anything processing stuff ( btw its a alc888 chip on a abit anm2 hd MB ) but im not sure, how do I check that?
    From what ive read, correct me if im wrong, its a matter of sending the signal more or less untampered to the amp so it will recognize it properly right?

I have my amp ( logitech z5500 ) recognizing dts soundtracks from mkv's and dvd's with ffdshow. Here its just a matter of a few checkmarks and I have dts and dolby digital sound on my amp, dont understand why its so difficult with music... :(
    I believe your soundcard re-samples everything to 48khz which will break DTS in WAV no matter what you do....

The issue here is wav files. MKV files etc will say they contain AC3 or DTS and therefore the signal gets treated as DD/DTS and all the right flags get set etc. With WAV files you simply have a stream and it just so happens that if your amp get this as is it will recognise it is actually a S/PDIF stream containing DD/DTS.

For my DTS files I have simply extracted the DTS stream and then stored that as dts file. This then will get treated as an MKV file for video (as long as you have AC3File installed and set the player to directshow). The easiest solution is probably just to re-rip the files to just be dts

The other option which I have not tried is within AC3Filter there is an option to "Detect SPDIF stream in in PCM data" option which might fix this (would need to set it to process PCM (this is not quite what you are trying to do but I think it largely still holds true). I guess you would need to set AC3Filter as the preferred decoder and set MP to Directshow instead of BASS but it might work with your current files.

clud

Portal Member
    February 11, 2007
    think i finally worked it out

I found some settings for spdif output in the realtek HD audio manager software where I could change from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz and kapow!!!! output went from noise to recognizable dts / DD for my amp and my ears ;)
    Then i just installed wmplayer plugin and everything plays back perfectly in MP!!

Havent tested if this actually is dependant upon the spdif settings in ffdshow, now Im just happy that it finally WORKS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom