Noob question about 16:9 skins.... (1 Viewer)

Slack

Portal Member
January 26, 2005
NC, USA
I have a very new HTPC, with RC3 installed, and I am testing things out on it in my office. I'm a long time XBMC user, and intend on moving this HTPC to my living room with a 16:9 plasma at some point in the future.

RC3 came with the skin 'razor' which purports to be a 16:9 skin. I also downloaded the Blue2 skin in 1280x720 for RC3. Yet when I launch MP (running windowed) on a desk top of 1280 x 1024 with either of these skins, it seems to want to be 4:3. I can drag the window to a more wide aspect, but the setting is not retained upon next launch.

I poked around MP Setup ad nauseum, and searched the forum, but I cannot figure out how to get mp to launch in 16:9.

Is this an xml tweak?

Thanks in advance.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Slack said:
    on a desk top of 1280 x 1024
    This says to me that your display is not 16:9, so the skin will not display in correct 16:9 mode. Is your display supposed to be "widescreen" - ie, the pixels are not square?

For a 16:9 skin to display correctly, both the video card and the display have to be in 16:9 mode - in this case 1280x720 (or 1024x576).

Slack

Portal Member
    January 26, 2005
    NC, USA
    Yes, but I'm not running in full screen mode. I'm running in windowed mode for the time being.

If the background graphics and such for a skin are 1280 x 720 why doesn't MP open with a window size to match the skin?

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    Even using a 16x9 monitor, windowed mode opens in 4x3. Maybe there needs to be a setting in the mediaportal.xml file that defines window width and height in windowed mode.... dimensions can be set more accurately (vs. guessing via dragging the window bigger) and the values would be saved. Its something i would like to see, but never a big priority; I've wanted to see what some of the 1280x720 based skins looked like at other 16x9 resolutions.

Did a search of the feature request forum for windowed and window, and the suggestion has been made before (here is the most recent), if you wanted to add to the thread...which didn't have a reply so far.

EDIT:
    If the background graphics and such for a skin are 1280 x 720 why doesn't MP open with a window size to match the skin?
    Good question....the only thing i could think of is that problems may be caused by openign a window that is bigger than the desktop size. More likely tho, its just one of those things they hard coded early on, if they could move it to a place where it's user configurable, that would be ideal.

sIRwa2

Portal Member
    September 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    YES
    Maybe there needs to be a setting in the mediaportal.xml file that defines window width and height in windowed mode....

its been a while since this been posted, but i like to see this feature beeing implemented, can we have a response from the dev's please?

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    It is indeed a very long time since you posted, and in the meantime you should find this option in the configuration. in General, at the bottom "Autosize window to skin".

sIRwa2

Portal Member
    September 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    well indeed, very sneaky little option hidden away there :D

:D :D

very helpfull indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom