Noob Question - free EPG in USA how does it work? (1 Viewer)

Mizpah

August 1, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but can anyone give me a step by step guide to getting the Program listings in MediaPortal 1 RC 2 to work in the USA using a free service?

I've read the sticky in the xmltv section but that uses Zap2it - gone, then I followed a link using CT TV listings - gone too. I'm aware of schedules direct, but I would like to avoid this if i can.

So far I have tried xmlTV and webEPG both to no luck. I've read the wiki step by step guide for WebEPG too - no luck. Concerning WebEPG, it mentions an XMLtv folder for the manual directions - which isn't there, and no mention of creating it. Speaking of which when I click on webEPG.exe (not the WebEPG - conf.exe) nothing happens, and my firewall is configured appropriately.

For xmlTV I've read what I can find. I've downloaded it and extracted the 32 binary and I've configured MediaPortal to look for the executable. I've selected the grabber tv_grab_na_dd, in the scheduler tab of the Program guide section of the MediaPortal Configuration but when it runs it asks for Schedule Direct info. Same if I try the grabber TVguide.xml File. Which I have no TVguide.xml anywhere on my PC I can find.

I have had luck using YApi2XML, but the link at https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/za...ht=yahoo+guide is old and seems to not have any final solutions either.

If you've continued reading this far - thanks! Here's my predicament. I have a new TV tuner (ATI Theater Pro 550) on my Windows XP SP3 PC. Came with Cyberlinks PowerCinema - major problems, tried trials of other's SageTV worked the BEST and I loved it. but expensive and no FM support. Don't know why everyone seems to like BeyondTV - I had audio rings and glitches. Trials expired - so do I buy or try the free guys. Tried gb-pvr same audio glitches as mentioned above, trying MediaPortal and so far I REALLY like it, if I could get this program guide thing to work then I'm "sold". I have been able to auto tune all my channels and FM stations every thing works well except for this darn problem. I've spent what time I have in the past 4 days trying to fix this - reading and learning, but nothing, Is it really this hard? Since I'm in USA, do I just need to sign up for schedules direct? If so why pay them, when I chould just use that money and buy another PVR, where I won't have this problem. Can someone help?

Thanks in adavance.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry, besides Schedules Direct (pay), i have heard of no useful free epg for the USA.

If they ever got around to broadcasting a useable epg with the tv service will be great (digital only), but until they do you have no choice.

Mizpah

August 1, 2008
    Home Country
    So if I'm understanding this correctly xmlTV, in the USA uses Schedule's Direct? Does webEPG use schedule direct in the USA too? What about the Yapi2XML, any idea how to configure it to work with MediaPortal? I've downloaded the app and was able to get the listings for my area free of charge, but no idea how to get it to work with MediaPortal. And while I'm on these questions, do you know how the PVR software that you buy (like SageTV and BeyondTV) grab their listings?

Thanks again.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

vette68

Portal Member
    April 24, 2008
    COCOA, FLORIDA
    Home Country
    I feel your pain, took me weeks to figure out the program guide.
    The good news is it works in the US but it's a little tricky to get it working right the first time.
    You need to go to zap2it website & set up a free ID
    then go to zap2xml for the software and instructions.
    you also need xmltv-0.5.52-win32.zip
    you will need to map the channels in the TVguide.xml file that is generated from the download from zap2it to the channels that your tuner
    card has scanned which can be tricky as the channel names won't match.
    All the info & detailed instructions are in the forum, you just have to hunt it down.

Mizpah

August 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Thank you for the instructions. I thought zap2it discontinued it's xml guide? I also signed up at Zap2it's website awhile ago, but I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about zap2xml. Is it something I missed, or is the zap2xml that you mentioned above found somewhere else (like a seperate plugin) rather than on the zap2it website. I'll start searching the fourms, but when I searched before I disregarded all zap2it stuff as old and no longer available. Thanks vette68!

BTW, I was able to get yap2xml to work with media portal using Paranoid's Delusion's link, but when I went into mediaportal none of the program data was correct. The channel names were correct, but the show listings were not correctly synced.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Hi Mizpah,

Honestly, you'll save yourself hours (at least) by paying the $20 for schedules direct. After that, its headache free and won't break if formats change.

marcsulf

Portal Member
    March 16, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Home Country
    WebEPG works for digital OTA stations in USA using IMDB

It only took me a couple of hours to get a working solution using WebEPG. Here's a link to what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom