Norwegian language files + transifex (1 Viewer)

aj1405

Portal Pro
September 30, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I’ve requested to join the Norwegian translation team after seeing a few areas of improvements.

But I see you have two “Norwegian translations”:
NO - Norwegian
NB - Bokmål

The Norwegian language is divided in two official written forms:
NB - Norwegian Bokmål
NN - Norwegian Nynorsk

While “NO - Norwegian” is a macro language.

I suggest you remove “NO - Norwegian" so there’s only one translation to maintain.

aj1405

Portal Pro
September 30, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
One more thing:
I see a nice mix of sentence (Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet) and title (Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet) casing.
Which one is preferred?

aj1405

Portal Pro
September 30, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I’m sorry but after a little investigation I see now that I was wrong. I was only looking at transifex and the TV Series language files. Mediaportal is actually only using NO.
Remove NB – Bokmål from transifex?

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi ajp1405,

first of all, thanks for supporting us with translation.

About the No vs. Nb vs. Nn point:
    I am not sure how many differences are between the languages in general, but if only one gets updated the other one could be removed at some time.
    We can not do this right now, because I am not sure that there might get lost some translations.
    I would also like to get the confirmation of majority of the Norwegian translation team to remove Nb sometimes.

Next point is that some apps/plugins might detect the systems language i.e. NB-xy so it falls back to NB, which then would not exist anymore and then fall back to EN.
    So if the Norwegian translations team agrees to maintain only NO, but this translation can also be reused for NB and other Norwegian language, I need a list of those, which should be treated equally and then we can modify the Transifex projects within all apps/plugins source code repositories to copy NO also to the other language on each translation update.

For getting into direct contact with other team mates of your language team you can directly use Transifex. You should have a forum-like messaging board there. You can discuss it right there or invite them to continue discussion here in forums.

One more thing:
    I see a nice mix of sentence (Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet) and title (Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet) casing.
    Which one is preferred?
    It depends. How it is written normally within your language. This way sentences should be translated within MediaPortal. Single words might be uppercased at first letter.
    All in this is also something which should be discussed and decided within the language, as people from other countries might not have the background of the language and so not be able to decide these things.

If there will be any decisions and rules you set for translated into your language, I would like to suggest to write them down in the wiki so that these are documented and can be referred to.
    The Transifex translation guide is located currently within the MP2 section: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/Contribute/Localization/Translation_Guide
    I might have to reorganize it a bit, now that more MP1 plugins are using Transifex.

Cheers,
    Tommy

esas

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My 5 cents regarding NO/NB/NN:

If a program (in this case MP) has only one Norwegian translation it should be called NO. But if it includes both written forms of Norwegian they have to be called NB and NN (and NO is not used).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom