Not for recording but only to change channels...? (1 Viewer)

bigjohn

Portal Member
June 27, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Here is my silly question...
And thanks for listening!

I have a need to use a tool like media portal to just control 8 set top boxes and change their channels. No other real integration necessary. They are Direct TV boxes, and the user should be able to tell which tuner/box was tuned to which channel.

Is there any such thing?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to MediaPortal

You can get MediaPortal to channel blast your set top box, but I am not clear of what exactly you want from your description. When you say "user should be able to tell which tuner/box was tuned to which channel", how will your users be watching TV?

Last edited:

bigjohn

Portal Member
    June 27, 2011
    Home Country
    The TV's are all prewired into a coax/cable distribution system. So, like 3 tv's are connected to a direct tv box.
    I want to be able to identify which tuner is tuned to which channel, and be able to select to change a specific tuner to another channel - from a PC, preferably with an on -screen guide of some type. The application is a bar - where they loose track of remotes and what goes where more frequently than they spill beer...

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Although your Q not directed to MP1 or MP2 specifically, i moved it to MP1 general. MP2 is still alpha, so I don't think it will solve your problems

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello bigjohn

The TV's are all prewired into a coax/cable distribution system. So, like 3 tv's are connected to a direct tv box.
    I want to be able to identify which tuner is tuned to which channel, and be able to select to change a specific tuner to another channel - from a PC, preferably with an on -screen guide of some type. The application is a bar - where they loose track of remotes and what goes where more frequently than they spill beer...
    MP's TV Server is able to control STBs with the aid of plugins, however this functionality is really on the perimeter of what MP does. I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me it doesn't make sense to use MP to control the STBs if you're not going to use MP to record and view as well. It would be an overly complicated solution that I'm not sure you'd be happy with.

My suggestion would be to use EventGhost or similar at the center of the solution.
    That would enable you to control the STBs.
    The missing pieces are the feedback and on-screen guide bits.
    For an on-screen guide, I'd likely use the internet. Surely DirecTV must have an online guide?
    I don't have a solution for feedback at this point. You might have to be an old fashioned approach with that - go over and physically check the TV - although I'm not sure how feasible that would be in your environment. If the STBs have displays on the front then maybe you could go by those if they are in a central place with the PC.

Just my 2 cents. :)

bigjohn

Portal Member
    June 27, 2011
    Home Country
    the STB's are direct TV... and given the group of users who would use this > a simple interface is desired.
    If something could be built around some GUIDE software + EventGhost + Caching what channel each box was last tuned by Event Ghost, that would be a simple soluiton... too bad I can only IMAGINE these things, not write a line of code..

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    and given the group of users who would use this...
    Your bar tenders, or your patrons?

> a simple interface is desired.
    The purpose of EventGhost is solely to send commands to the STBs. It sits in the system tray listening for key presses or remote button presses and acts accordingly. Once set up, it is quite hard to stuff up.

If something could be built around some GUIDE software + EventGhost + Caching what channel each box was last tuned by Event Ghost, that would be a simple soluiton... too bad I can only IMAGINE these things, not write a line of code..
    Well as far as MP goes, the problem is that it won't be able to control your STBs unless you have tuners in the PC - one for each STB. Hence my opinion that MP is not suitable.

bigjohn

Portal Member
    June 27, 2011
    Home Country
    Bartenders.....
    Anyway, thanks for the information. I have to think this out and maybe I'm going to end up finding someone to write some .NET code...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Bartenders.....
    Would the STBs live with each TV, or with the PC (at the bar???)?
    If they had a display on the front that told you what channel they were tuned to then that might partially solve the problem. Then you have to be close to the PC to change channel, but maybe that is what you want.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I have to think this out and maybe I'm going to end up finding someone to write some .NET code...
    Good luck to you - hope you manage to find or build something that does what you need. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom