[no Bug] Not installing MySQL (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The announcement page doesn't seem to mention MySQL as being a pre-requisite, so I assume the installer should install it if necessary, but I don't see it listed at all and then when I get to the Test Connection stage, it fails (which is hardly surprising if MySQL isn't installed).

I don't see any sign of MySQL in services.msc or under installed programs, so it doesn't appear to be already installed.

I was trying to do an upgrade install from 1.6 (not sure if Pre or Final). Not sure if the logs will show much as the installer log probably got overwritten when I tried reinstalling, so I added the Oldlogs to the attached zip.

I also get errors "Error opening file for writing" when running the installer again after the first time. I have to delete the files in e:\temp\Main\MediaPortal Installation to fix this but now it won't even let me access this folder "access is denied".

I'm running as Admin with UAC disabled and I set Users to Full Access the first time I get the error on installing to see if that would help. There's something strange though, as if I go into Advanced Security Settings for e:\temp it shows two Users(X4\Users) with one set to Full Control and the other set to Read&Execute. I can delete the first one but when I try and change the other one to Full Control, it just creates an extra entry again and I'm sure there shouldn't be two conflicting entries.

I think the easiest thing to do is just change the settings to point temp to another location like E:\temp2 as something's obviously messed up.[DOUBLEPOST=1392742350][/DOUBLEPOST]OK, changed the temp folder and reinstalled but still no mention of MySQL in the installer and still had the same problem at the "Test Database Connection" screen.

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    You were doing an upgrade install you say.

Was TV working in 1.6 ? If so, then you had MySQL installed.

If not, since you were doing an upgrade, the installer would upgrade the type of install you already had. So, if you only had the MP client installed and selected upgrade, it would upgrade the client but not install the TV server.

Edit: looking at your logs, this seems to be correct. It didn't install the TV service as far as I can tell. Of course, you may know different based on what was on your screen.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I haven't used it properly in a while and don't have my USB tuner connected at the moment but I did already have TVService installed, although when I tried to start it, it failed saying something about dependencies I think. When I try and start it now, it's a bit different as it popsup a firewall alert, which I allow and then it says it "started but stopped as some services stop automatically if not in use by other programs".

I think it was trying to upgrade the TVservice but when the Test Connection stage failed and I closed that window, it proceeded with the rest of the install, probably skipping the TV Server stage.

I certainly can't find any sign of MySQL being installed though. I recall I had some problems with it, so uninstalled it completely but thought I'd then reinstalled it but it doesn't look like it.

If I try a Fresh Install, it shows a screen regarding MySQL and then the list of things to be installed includes MySQL5.6 and says "Not Installed", so I'll try that approach after backing up and deleting the existing install.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Still no luck I'm afraid. It uninstalled and reinstalled Mediaportal, then downloaded and installed MySQL but then hung on uninstalling TV Service. I restarted it again and this time it showed MySQL already installed but threw an exception "Unable to write to registry key" on uninstalling TV Service. So I ran the TVengine deploy package manually and this got to the Test Connection stage but still fails whether I leave it on the hostname (X4), the machine's IP address (192.168.1.64) or the address of the loopback adapter (192.168.2.1).

So I checked in services.msc and MySQL is installed now but isn't running and if I try and start it, it fails with "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly" It doesn't list any Dependencies, so I don't think this could be caused by some other service being disabled.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Absolutely no idea. For some reason you always seen to come up with problems that no-one else sees.

Back to the original point, if you do an update, the installer will assume you have MySQL or MSSQL installed. We have a test work in progress to update from an earlier version.

If you had 1.6 working at some earlier point, you must have had MySQL installed. Since you didn't prior to doing the update, why on earth did you remove it and still expect MP to work with your TV tuner?

I think we have to set this to 'no bug'. You are clearly having issues, but you need to take this to the support section, and get help. I can't see any reason to think this is a bug.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep better to do a full clean uninstallation and also MySQL too.
    You need to delete all MySQL related stuff (you can backup to have files somewhere eventually).

After do full uninstall (MP/TV) and uninstall MySQL and delete : the full folder :
    C:\Program Files\MySQL
    C:\ProgramData\MySQL

Reboot your PC.

Now you should be able to start 1.7.0 Pre-Release with clean install, it should download MySQL 5.6, reinstall it properly etc.
    After that setup MP (without plugins)
    Try TV and see how it goes.

Only after that you can try to install plugins :)
    Be aware that plugins dev will supply an update of their plugins (TVS is already ready, OV i have supply an unofficial bin).

Good luck :)

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Yep better to do a full clean uninstallation and also MySQL too.
    You need to delete all MySQL related stuff (you can backup to have files somewhere eventually).

After do full uninstall (MP/TV) and uninstall MySQL and delete : the full folder :
    C:\Program Files\MySQL
    C:\ProgramData\MySQL

Reboot your PC.

Now you should be able to start 1.7.0 Pre-Release with clean install, it should download MySQL 5.6, reinstall it properly etc.
    After that setup MP (without plugins)
    Try TV and see how it goes.

Only after that you can try to install plugins :)
    Be aware that plugins dev will supply an update of their plugins (TVS is already ready, OV i have supply an unofficial bin).

Good luck :)

Thanks but I still end up with the same problem. The installer hangs at the Installing MySQL stage and stops responding and closes when I click on it. If I run it again and do a Fresh Install, it shows that MySQL is now installed but I have the same problem when it gets to the Test Connection stage. Maybe MySQL didn't actually install properly despite what the installer now says, so I should try downloading and installing that manually.

The log collector threw up an error about missing Mediaportal.xml I think, so I zipped up the logs manually.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    This is not normal, full clean uninstall and also uninstall MySQL and remove all folder, it should work :)
    Something is messed up on your system, when i try/debug/test (and i would say i do that a lot with MySQL) i do like explain (remove all) on 2 PC(s) + VM machine and i always endup to be able to do proper reinstall :)

Reboot in between unsinstall must be done to be sure to remove leftover files left during uninstall.

Did you notice error in your event log ?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    From your log it seems to not be a clean installation, it backup older folder.
    With your description of your issue, you need to perform an clean installation.
    Good luck.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    That's very strange as I did a full uninstall.and did reboot before trying to reinstall. I'll try again though.

I can see some errors in the eventlog re MySQL referring to InnoDB.

Running the log collector, I get an unhandled exception "The Files E:\temp2\Main\MPTemp\tvserver_Gentle.config" already exists and if I click on Continue it just sticks on "Gathering TvServer log information if any". If I delete the temp files first it works OK but then gets stuck on "Creating ZIP Archive with gathered information", so I've zipped the files up manually again.

OK, I see an error popped up in the background about "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Mediaportal.xml" and when I OK that the log collector finishes, although it doesn't produce a zip on the desktop.

Attachments

• MPTemp.zip
      50.1 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom