Not playing dvr-ms files (1 Viewer)

L00pback

Portal Member
September 10, 2011
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi

I'm new to MP (1.2RC) and am having a problem that I need some help with.

I've been using Windows Media Center in Windows 7 for some time now and have lots of recorded TV shows (mainly for the kids). The problem is that when I point MP to one of these recorded programs I get the error:-

Unable to play: Name of file

Video codec: MPEG VIDEO VERSION 2
Audio codec: MPEG AUDIO VERSION 2

I've tried using MCEBuddy to convert them to MP4 and still they don't play.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh, the rest of the setup like TV, TV clients etc all work fantastic and I'd just like to thank all the devs for making MP so good.
:D

I'm sure my trouble is something I'm doing/haven't done.

I've attached the logs just in case this can point someone in the right direction.

Thanks for reading.

Alan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Alan

It looks like MP fails to load the decrypt/tag filter when preparing to play the file. Are you able to confirm whether you have that filter installed in your system? You can use GraphStudio:

1. Download and run GraphStudio.
    2. Click "Graph" -> "Insert Filter...".
    3. Select the "BDA CP/CA Filters" category in the first drop-down box.
    4. Is the "Decrypt/Tag" filter listed there, and does it have a red exclamation mark next to it?

mm

L00pback

Portal Member
    September 10, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi MM and thanks for the quick response and help.

I've downloaded and run GraphStudio as you asked and it has found the Decrypt/Tag and there is no red exclamation mark.

I have just setup MP on two other windows 7 PC's (for TV streaming) and have tried running the recorded TV and none of them can play the files.

The files play fine when run through Windows Media Player.

Any ideas what I should do now?

Cheers

Alan

L00pback

Portal Member
    September 10, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Couldn't get it to work but found that if I use MCEBuddy to convert the files to .avi then MP would play them fine.

Not the best solution, but its a solution.

MCEBuddy (liking what it can do) is now going through a lot of programs converting away.

My impressions of MP compared to Windows Media Center is that it can do a lot more, look a lot nicer and allows much more control over how things work but the price you pay is that it takes time to get setup just the way you like it and it can bite you with little "issues" like I had that a lot of other users don't.

Thankfully the excellent forum can help resolve or work around these little quirks.

Overall, very, very impressed with MP and wish I'd found it earlier. Big thanks to everyone that has made MP possible.

Only thing left for me to do is to overcome my addiction to tweaking and playing with all the settings - I just can't help but modify things to try and get the best picture quality and functionality out of MP. :D

I've not given up on resolving my dvr-ms issues and if I ever find a solution I'll post back here.

Alan

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Alan

You should be able to play dvr-ms files, what operating system do you have, afaik only wtv files on vista\win7 will not play using MP last time I tested this, and yes MCEBuddy is a nice tool, but pretty much obsolete regarding MP, as hdd's are that much bigger and tvserver supports comskip, so the adverts can be taken out anyway.

L00pback

Portal Member
    September 10, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ult and from the research I've done, I agree MP should play them fine but for some reason I get the errors listed above.

Its frustrating because I know it should work, but on the three systems I'm using (all running Win7 Ult) all I get is the error. I'm going to try using SAF6 and see if that makes a diff but I doubt it. It looks like a codex issue but MM put me onto Graphstudio which reports no problems with playing the files and the dvr-ms files play fine in media player.

Hohum.... good job I enjoy a challenge and the kids have got their recorded TV shows (albeit in a different format) so the pressure is off a bit.

If you have any suggestions as to a way forward, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Alan

L00pback

Portal Member
    September 10, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'll try renaming and seeing if that works. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Renamed the file extension to .mpg and the files played the video but no audio. So half way there now.

Loaded the file with GraphStudio and sure enough there was no audio decoders listed. Will continue to investigate.

Cheers

Alan

tomma123

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    LOOpback,

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue, had some dvr-ms files that I renamed to .mpg. Now they play, but with no audio.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom