Notebook with intel core ix-2xxx and HD3000 gfx fine? (1 Viewer)

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I plan to buy a new Notebook based on Intel's i3-2xxx or i5-2xxx processor with 15.6" display.
    Among some offices duties it shall be used as a MePo client.

I relised that there are systems with either integrated HD3000 gfx or dedicated AMD/Nvidia GPU's available. As the first ones seem to have an advantage on power consumption (giving longer operation on battery!!!) and also seem cheaper, I am asking myself wether this integrated gfx is good enough for MePo.
    I've read some test suggesting that this gfx solutions are somewhere on the level of a AMD 5450 suggesting that this is fine.

Content is either H264 or Mpeg2 TS and SD/HD TV from Astra or DVD from the integrated dvd device. No gaming intended.
    Want to use Streamed MP, as this skin is also on my fixed clients.

Any comments and experience on performance of the intel HD3000?

regards
    flintstone

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi flintstone

I've seen a couple of complaints about the instability of Intel's drivers. It would be very 50-50 in my opinion. If you trust Intel to improve their drivers then go for it; if you are cynical about that ever happening then get discrete graphics.

Just my 2c... :)

mm

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Notebook with intel core ix-2xxx and HD3000 gfx fine?

An Core i3 2100 (i.e. HD2000 gfx) is working for me now since a few weeks.
    Everything is fine. I would even say it is a better solution than Nvidia or AMD.
    Especially if you connect it via HDMI to a AV-receiver. With Win7 it automatically detects the right settings for video AND audio over HDMI. Playing for example DTS-HD as bit stream to the AV-receiver to let him decode the signal works out of the box.

Playing any HD content is no issue with the HD2000, so of course a HD3000 is even to much power. :)
    CPU usage of Full-HD content is 3-8 %.

To watch 99% of all movies you only need to have Win7 and LAV-Splitter and, if you want to bit-stream AC3 or DTS, also the LAV-Audio filter, thats all. So no need for senseless codec packages like SAF. :)

P.S.: If you use Win 7 64bit (especially on UEFI system), be sure to have SP1 installed before installing the lastest Intel GFX drivers! Otherwise you get some nice BSOD's.

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I hope the driver topic mostly applies to gaming and not to playing video andd good hint on the SP1

thanks

flintstone

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just don't expect it to play BluRay or any other 23.976 material without showing it as 24 fps = stutter.

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,

finally bought a Fujitsu A531 with i52410 CPU and HD3000 graphics. I don't watch Blue Ray, so cannot comment, but everything else is fine!
    regards
    flintstone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom