Nvidia and CoreAVC settings for best picture (1 Viewer)

thrilled

Portal Pro
October 30, 2008
Greetings,

I have a question to you out there regarding the Nvidia PureVideo Codec and CoreAVC. I am using the Nvidia Codec for regular TV and the CoreAVC codec for HD channels. These are installed as standard and now I am wondering if its possible to tweek the settings for even better picture?

I know that the quality of a picture may be a case of personal flavor but yet I am interested to listen and try all your recommended settings?

Maybe there are even codecs that are better then the above ones?

Looking forward to a great discussion regarding this.

:D

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    First thing I always do is change the colourspace, in ati\nvidia control panel, this is default set to application controlled and is omputer value of 16-235, so black does not appear totally black, changing this to ATI\Nvidia control with 0-255 setting, dramatically improves this.

Next tip :)

thrilled

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2008
    First thing I always do is change the colourspace, in ati\nvidia control panel, this is default set to application controlled and is omputer value of 16-235, so black does not appear totally black, changing this to ATI\Nvidia control with 0-255 setting, dramatically improves this.

Next tip :)

That's precisely that kind of tip I am looking for.. I am sure these tip can be a good resource for many users.. Let 'em coming!

I am also curious if there are any settings that can be changed ie deinterelace and such.

/Thrilled

jacc1234

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2008
    It is called Pixel Format in ATI CCC under the DTV tab. Full RGB = 0-255 and Limited RGB = 16-235. It is my understanding that we should set it to Full RGB because the DVI > HDMI adapters will then convert this to 16-235 so if you are using 16-235 it will further compress the output which is bad. There is a ton of conflicting info out there (check AVS fourms) so I might be wrong.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Personally the most important tweak regarding TV has to be the upscaling of SD channels to a higher definition through ffdshow's raw video filter. The setup can be completely subjective, but this is the best upscaling starting guide I have read although not very analytical for a beginner. But it provides a good starting point for upscaling and over time you come back for more advanced tweaks

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    It is called Pixel Format in ATI CCC under the DTV tab. Full RGB = 0-255 and Limited RGB = 16-235. It is my understanding that we should set it to Full RGB because the DVI > HDMI adapters will then convert this to 16-235 so if you are using 16-235 it will further compress the output which is bad. There is a ton of conflicting info out there (check AVS fourms) so I might be wrong.

Is this only relevant for ATI or for all cards?

In my case I can set the colorspace on both the graphics card driver and the TV setup. They have to match to give a good picture with correct blacks and whites. If they differ I get either a washed out picture or a way too dark one.

Personally the most important tweak regarding TV has to be the upscaling of SD channels to a higher definition through ffdshow's raw video filter. The setup can be completely subjective, but this is the best upscaling starting guide I have read although not very analytical for a beginner. But it provides a good starting point for upscaling and over time you come back for more advanced tweaks

Have you really noticed a big difference in picture quality when using ffdshows upscaler?

I have tried a lot of these picture enhancing features of ffdshow, but most of them gave me not so good results and for upscaling I think modern graphics cards can do this very well and use less cpu for it too.

But there's also one advantage of software upscaling: When using subtitles they are applied to the upscaled image and look really good then.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Yeah the difference is huge. If you look around the net you can find screenshots of ffdshow vs several upscaling techniques. Sharpening, deringing, and removal of blocks is the main advantage of ffdshow and can be easily compared to hardware upscalers

here's an older screenshot of ffdshow Vs simple renderer upscale. Notice the legs of the acrobats, the ropes in the background and the black levels. With ffdshow the picture is much better. An now I've improved it a bit

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yeah the difference is huge. If you look around the net you can find screenshots of ffdshow vs several upscaling techniques. Sharpening, deringing, and removal of blocks is the main advantage of ffdshow and can be easily compared to hardware upscalers

OK, I'll take some time again and sit down to find the best settings for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom