nVidia and DVI output (1 Viewer)

Elf

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've recently become the proud owner of a Plasma Hi-def TV, and wasted no time hooking up my HTPC's nVidia 6200 DVI-out to the TV's HDMI in.
I eagerly booted up, awaiting hi-resolution bliss after a long time in the s-vhs wilderness...

Interestingly, the nVidia drivers auto-detected the TV and chose to set the output to 1280x1024 or some such - resulting in a visible but pretty horrendous looking display of the type you would expect when you're nowhere near the native resolution.. The TV tech specs say it's 1024x768 but any attempts to set that resolution on the PC results in an image half the screen width and 20% taller than the screen height, which only lasts until I click something else in the control panel, after which the drivers decide I need everything changing back to 1280x1024 whether I like it or not.

After a lot of messing around, I gave up and connected to the TV via good old-fashioned D-sub (which the TV also has). The display is in 1024x768 as it should be and it looks just perfect, so I'm sticking with it. Still very curious about the DVI/HDMI route though.

Anyone else had interesting (or better) results with DVI/HDMI connections?

:rolleyes: ..please no "use ATI" flames!

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    although I am using an ATIS card (i would prefer nVidia by now...) I have a setup that sends 720p (1280 x 720 Pixels) via DVI.

Works fine, although my TV does not Pixelmap correctly. The issue is with displaying 1:1 a PC Pixel for a screen pixel. Almost none of the current TVs do that correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom