nVidia GeForce 9400 GT (1 Viewer)

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
I am intested by what you say about 8 series. If i want to use ffdshow filters, how can i set MP to do HW decoding and use FFDSHOW?

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
Yes i know that i dont have HW acceleartion with ffdshow but isnt it possible to use as post processing after HW decoding?

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I use a PCI Express Nvidia 8500 GT 512MB (with cooling fan) using DVI outputs. It has a small fan. No overclock. Works fine with my 47" 1080p screen.
A tip for big screens is to customize the DPI setting in the video advanced settings. This fixes the unreadible micro text in windows XP. I have mine set to 200% which works well at 10 feet. I also have a Microsoft mouse with an extra button to magnify a portion of the screen, which is essential.
I have a non-MP issue with Hulu watching their Hi-Res 480p content full screen inside my IE browser. The video stutters and is not really watchable so I revert to Hulu std definition. I think this is a software problem. As I can play all the HD 1080i movies and TV fine. I updated the flash player to latest version but still stuttering in full screen. The stuttering goes away if I reduce the window size to less than full screen.

Update:
I researched the hulu issue. Apparently flash player currently does not make use of the HD HW acceleration on graphics cards when it upscales i.e. when I try to play the hulu 480p on my 1080p screen resolution. So the huge burden of upscaling 480p to 1080p is put on my CPU and not on my 8500GT. The CPU has contending priorities so it delays processing of some of the upscaling. This explains why the stuttering is not present on my lower spec PC which runs a lower screen resolution than 1080p.
Options
1. upgrade my Core 2 duo 2.13 GHz to a quad core (not even sure this will fix it).
2. wait until a better flash player comes out. (this would fix the root of the issue).
3. watching what hulu calls standard definition and abandon hulu hi-res (480p).
4. drop 1080p screen resoluton when playing hulu so their is less upscaling - but that would be a hastle.

Update 2:
I tried turning on/off the "use hardware acceleration" and it made no difference. Confusingly when the settings dialog is open the stuttering goes away!!!

HULU issue with my 8500GT card....
Looks like there is a known bug in the latest version of flash player. Here is a quote from hulu support site.

Q : I've upgraded to Flash Player 9.0.124.0 and I'm having problems viewing video in fullscreen mode. How can I fix this?
There is a known issue with Adobe's latest Flash Player's hardware acceleration feature and certain graphics cards. You can turn off the hardware acceleration feature by the following steps:
1. Go to Hulu.com and watch a video.
2. Right-click on the player and select "Settings".
3. Click to the first tab in the settings window and uncheck the "Enable hardware acceleration" box.
4. Click "Close" and try watching any Hulu video in full screen mode again.

So my solution is to downgrade my flash player to a previous version!

Update 3: Fixed!
Download and tried to install version 10 of Adobe flash player. At first it looked like it worked.
And indeed it installed v 10 software. However the IE flash player add on still reported it was version 9.
So it had failed to install in Internet Explorer.
I had to manually uninstall version 9.0.124.0 and 10 in Add/Remove programs.
Then went back to IE and tried the install again and it worked.
Now I have perfect Hulu playback of House, The Office and Heroes!

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
December 6, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello!

I looked at this links, but the 9400gt chip is also using HA, like 8500gt. There aren't differences.
But a 8500GT is cheaper and the power consumption is also lower. I'm looking for a new card, too. I'm having an onboard Radeon 3200 and there are some problems, like flickering, bad deinterlacing and so on. A 8500GT would be a good solution.

David

I have the same hardware.
I bought a Asus EN8500GT SILENT MAGIC/HTP/512M,512MB, DDR2, PCI Express x16 for just approx. €45.

I got the same issues (flickering pictures with fast camera movements).
So hope this will be fixes once i've installed the new Nvidia card.

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
December 6, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello!

I looked at this links, but the 9400gt chip is also using HA, like 8500gt. There aren't differences.
But a 8500GT is cheaper and the power consumption is also lower. I'm looking for a new card, too. I'm having an onboard Radeon 3200 and there are some problems, like flickering, bad deinterlacing and so on. A 8500GT would be a good solution.

David

I have the same hardware.
I bought a Asus EN8500GT SILENT MAGIC/HTP/512M,512MB, DDR2, PCI Express x16 for just approx. €45.

I got the same issues (flickering pictures with fast camera movements).
So hope this will be fixes once i've installed the new Nvidia card.

As promised:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...te-ga-ma78gm-s2h-46279/index4.html#post323535

nanogod

Portal Pro
March 22, 2007
Bamberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Update

Hi,

i wanted to give you a little update: I have now bought an 8500Gt 512 MB PCIe with passive cooling.
I think i have made a good choice. I use purevideo codec for TV and most videos, and the quality is better as with my old x700. The card gets a little bit hot i think, so maybe i willl get a different passive cooler.
I will fiddle a bit with the codec to improve the quality more.

Or should i get another codec? May WinDVD 6 (i own) be better?

Regards

nanogod

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom