Nvidia Ion Platform and Acer Hornet (1 Viewer)

Kossu

Portal Pro
June 8, 2008
Home Country
Finland Finland
Has anyone been following up on this?

Basically its a platform which combines Nvidia 9400M chipset with an Intel Atom. Which together is supposed to be able to bring 7.1 sound 10 times faster gfx than the 945 chipset and be capable of playing full HD 1080P without any problems.

The specifications of the first product line is supposed to be released today. Its called Acer Hornet
The sound level on it is 26 db, so basically u cant hear it at all.

It looks very promising and best of all the price is expected to be around 150-300 usd and in uk between 100 and 200 pounds, depending on the model.

Attachments

• 68352-acer-hornet.jpg
    68352-acer-hornet.jpg
    26.4 KB
  • it_portal_pic_115585.jpg
    it_portal_pic_115585.jpg
    350.4 KB
  • reference_photo2.jpg
    reference_photo2.jpg
    11.2 KB
  • reference_photo3.jpg
    reference_photo3.jpg
    7 KB
  • reference_photo7.jpg
    reference_photo7.jpg
    15.9 KB
  • wtm_acer_hornet_5_DwJ9k_54.jpg
    wtm_acer_hornet_5_DwJ9k_54.jpg
    15.3 KB

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    WANT!!

They are very cool little boxes, a little VESA mount brackets for them would be cool too :)

Zapp

Portal Member
    November 14, 2007
    South-West
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've been waiting for something like this to happen since I feel that the Asus eee box B206 is just not up to my needs.
    I might be wrong about the B206 but I'd like something that can handle h264 mkv files and just maybe the Acer can take that on, we'll have to wait and see.

/Zapp...

tesco

Portal Member
    March 27, 2009
    As long as it has the 9400m GPU it can handle h264, but the problem the way I see it is that the CPU isn't strong enough. The navigation and out-of-media stuff will be too slow. Perhaps with the new 2Ghz CPUs, but I doubt it.

wollo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    I'm using a Revo 3600L with 2gigs ram and win xp. navigation and menus are surprisingly smooth, changing channel groups takes a little time but I have 617 channels. BBC hd on DVBs2 (freesat) has a little stutter now and then but I think thats due to the fact that I've been timeshifting to a 16g usb stick, I might try and raid a couple of those together, if such a thing can be done, to see if the stutter disapears. Dont have any 1080p to try yet but I hear they run great anyway. If they are correctly encoded. It's so quiet I can hear my Samsung LCD's fan above it. I am surprised by its performance.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    The menu performance is what I was most interested in :)

What MediaPortal skin do you use with this? I'm a StreamedMP fan, so it would be interesting to see what difference that would make.

very tempted to get the basic 1GB with 8GB SSD model and upgrade the RAM to 4GB. I know it comes with Linux, but I have XP licenses to replace the linux it comes with.

wollo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    I'm using steamed mp on 1020. Like I say menus are plenty smooth enough. I bought the linux model. Mine shipped with a 160 GB hdd. I believe most if not all are shipping with this. I've upgraded the ram to 2gb. So far I'm so impressed that I'm buying another for my spare room client in a fortnight when I get payed again. I've not tried yet but I believe there is no acceleration on flash video yet, so no hd youtube or iplayer at the moment. I'm using the trial of core avc 1.9.5 with cuda. that seems great for bbc hd.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Good to know, thanks wollo :)

Looks like i'll be getting one for my kitchen client now.

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The menu performance is what I was most interested in :)

What MediaPortal skin do you use with this? I'm a StreamedMP fan, so it would be interesting to see what difference that would make.

very tempted to get the basic 1GB with 8GB SSD model and upgrade the RAM to 4GB. I know it comes with Linux, but I have XP licenses to replace the linux it comes with.

None available on the net till 21st Jul. But at £150 thats a damn cheap TV Client! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom