nVidia NVTV any good? (1 Viewer)

WelshTom

Portal Member
May 13, 2005
Wales
Hi there,

I'm just in the middle of building my HTPC which I plan to run MediaPortal on and need to now decide on a TV card. I was originally going to use an ati 8500DV AIW card that I have lying around but having read a few thing I reaslise that this is not the best of ideas! So then I started looking around and found that the most popular ones were the PVR-150 / 250. Then I came accross this review which says that the nVidia NVTV card gives a better picture quality and is cheaper. A quick look at the compatability table to see that the card is there so I thought great, we'll have one of them.

Then I found this review that gave it last place in this test(though they tested the twin tuner version). So does anyone out there have any experience with this card? Is it any good, or would I be better saving a little more and buying a PVR-150/250? If so which one should I go for?

Thanks in advance for any help :lol:

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The NVTV cards only hardware encode the video and not the audio.
    Audio is handled with software compression.

If you search the forum you'll see that NVTV users are not impressed with the video quality either.

I'd go for a Hauppauge PVR150MCE (or similar)

DMAN

S

Sk33t3r

Hello WelshTom

I have the NVTV card in my MP PC currently. I would not recommend this card at all. The picture is fuzzy and there is apparently no way to adjust it.

That said, if you do want to try it, let me know. I'd sell you mine pretty cheap.

Best of luck.

Sk33t3r

WelshTom

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Wales
    Thanks for the offer Sk33t3r but I think I'll have to politely decline! Anyway, I just bought a PVR-150MCE, hoping that will do the job.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom