[Obsolete] MPWebStream: Stream TV over the internet (1 Viewer)

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Re: [Beta] MPWebStream: Stream TV over the internet

Nice to see some development on TV streaming over Internet. Thanks for that.

But i'm also worried to see, a lot of "small" streaming projects pop up - Each of them strong on some features, and weak on others.

Hopefully this will in the future merge into one great streaming project/protocol - Meaning more developers on central project, and supported and tested by a larger community.

In general I can't figure out which Streaming service is maintained or not, and which one is working or not - Compared to Movingpictures and MPTvseries this is at the moment very confusing.

I personally think that TV Internet streaming along with Onlinevideos could be features, that could distance MePo from other HTPC software platforms like XBMC & Windows Mediacenter.

But as i started out - Thanks for contributing with development - It is definitely appreaciated:)

/Morten

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: [Beta] MPWebStream: Stream TV over the internet

Thanks, working great, but some of the VLC Buttons are not going (Fullscreen, Deinterlacing).
    Is it possible to take this into the Webinterface of TV4Home, so if you click on a channel, you can choose if you want to stream, or record it :)
    Would be very nice ;)
    The fullscreen bug is a known bug in the VLC browser plugin, see #3419 on their bugtracker. Basically nobody wants to fix it. Deinterlacing is a typo on my side, will be fixed in new release :)

Regarding TV4Home integration: that's entirely up to them. They're free to use my service or even integrate the code in their codebase. I at least know that they once said that a streaming ability in their service for developers won't happen and that it probably has to be another service. Other problem is that the webservice isn't released yet so I can't try or tweak it :) Also see below.

Nice to see some development on TV streaming over Internet. Thanks for that.

But i'm also worried to see, a lot of "small" streaming projects pop up - Each of them strong on some features, and weak on others.

Hopefully this will in the future merge into one great streaming project/protocol - Meaning more developers on central project, and supported and tested by a larger community.

In general I can't figure out which Streaming service is maintained or not, and which one is working or not - Compared to Movingpictures and MPTvseries this is at the moment very confusing.

I personally think that TV Internet streaming along with Onlinevideos could be features, that could distance MePo from other HTPC software platforms like XBMC & Windows Mediacenter.

But as i started out - Thanks for contributing with development - It is definitely appreaciated:)

/Morten
    As far as I know, the MovingPictures and MPTvSeries are related to the client side of MediaPortal, while I'm primarily interested in the serverside, the TvEngine. On that side we currently have three things: a interface for communicating with the tv server (TV4Home Core Service), a webinterface without streaming capabilities (TV4Home, currently in development) and a streaming server (MPWebStream, this topic). These three solutions both do other things and I think they can exist in parallel. It would be nice to come up with an installer that installs and configures all three of them to work together, but that just needs an interested developer. There are a number of clients in development that use these services, such as the (TV4Home) TvViewer and the Android clients.

For the MediaPortal side, I'm not really good informed, but I know of at least GMAWebServices, which intends to be something like TV4Home but for the client side.

I think it's a good idea to have a IRC meeting with all web-service related developers. If other people are also interested I'll see if I can arrange something. DieBagger, Mike? I will also check out MPTvSeries, MovingPictures and iPiMP to see how they fit in this picture.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I can only speak for myself but i'm interested in a meeting and if the feedback about MP Webstream is mainly positive i'm sure it can be integrated in the TV4Home Webinterface.

Oxan
    What do you mean with this?
    Other problem is that the webservice isn't released yet so I can't try or tweak it
    If you have further intentions to talk about the services just write me a pn and we will find a way to communicate better than about the forum ;)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I can only speak for myself but i'm interested in a meeting and if the feedback about MP Webstream is mainly positive i'm sure it can be integrated in the TV4Home Webinterface.
    That's great! :)

@Oxan
    What do you mean with this?
    Other problem is that the webservice isn't released yet so I can't try or tweak it
    If you have further intentions to talk about the services just write me a pn and we will find a way to communicate better than about the forum ;)
    Well I wanted to say that that webservice wasn't released yet so that it was quite hard for me to take a look how stuff could be integrated. But now I found out that it's posted on the German forums.. any plans for an English release? ;-)

I'm quite busy now, but when I've sorted out the last bugs I encountered and I've got some time to check out the other plugins I'll come back to you :)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

You can use the uploaded versions from the german thread the webinterface should use the english version on non german operating systems ;)

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Thanks Oxan

After installing I had to manually create the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files or I'd get an error message about lack of permissions.

I couldn't get the VLC plugin running in IE9. In Firefox 4 it works well apart from the fullscreen and deinterlacing buttons as you already know.

The "Direct" button isn't really useful since it just keeps downloading the stream without ever starting a program :)
    I did try copy/paste the Direct link into VLC and it works well, just not very user friendly.

I'm seeing forward to the day when you'll get a MediaPortal like EPG, click a program and it shows in fullscreen with deinterlacing :D

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

You can use the uploaded versions from the german thread the webinterface should use the english version on non german operating systems ;)
    Oh great. I tried it and it is really nice. Good job! :D

After installing I had to manually create the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files or I'd get an error message about lack of permissions.
    I haven't had any problems with that. Which Windows version are you running?

I couldn't get the VLC plugin running in IE9. In Firefox 4 it works well apart from the fullscreen and deinterlacing buttons as you already know.

The "Direct" button isn't really useful since it just keeps downloading the stream without ever starting a program :)
    I did try copy/paste the Direct link into VLC and it works well, just not very user friendly.
    Well, the problem is that no one is developing the VLC browser plugin anymore and there are quite a lot of bugs in it, which don't get fixed this way. There was some process last October, but that seems to have stalled again. Other browser plugins that play video are WMP, which knows how to play MPEG TS and H264 since Windows7, so that might be an option. Flash is also an option, but I don't have much experience with it. So sadly with the VLC plugin it's nothing I can solve, but I'll look at other plugins to play the video.

Deinterlacing bug is already solved in next version.

I'm seeing forward to the day when you'll get a MediaPortal like EPG, click a program and it shows in fullscreen with deinterlacing :D
    The webinterface is being developed by TV4Home and does work very good for everything except streaming, so that's why I developed this. It'll probably be integrated with TV4Home in the future, see the messages from Mike in this thread.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Sure, that's no problem. I'm currently reworking the transcoding code a bit, I'll see what I can do for you :) I'll move it into a DLL then, which can stream and transcode both TV and files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom